Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Toffee Lipstick



I will always be drawn to small bodies of water,

Especially in the autumn

When leaves the color of toffee lipstick

Settle on the surface like recaptured kisses.


When I sit beside a pond on a raw day like this,

An unforgiving flame takes my heart in a hurtful embrace,

Consuming me until I can scarcely breathe.


And yet,

I cannot share what I feel, except with you;

I jealously guard my pain and keep it in a locket made of leaves

So that every word I speak will burn.


The water looks so soft, it reminds me of your lips

And how your arms slipping around me made me feel rapturously weak,

Like an escaping soul.


I miss you,

And evening falls earlier every day.


But soon, speaking of you to someone, I will simply turn to glowing ash,

Like leaves the color of toffee lipstick,

Spinning inevitably down

To their waiting lover below.

_________________________

12 comments:

Tracey-Ann said...

I LOVE this ! Absolutely beautiful.
The entire poem is lovely, especially this particular line that jumped out at me ~

"I jealously guard my pain and keep it in a locket made of leaves"

Tracey-Ann said...

Oh and I forgot to mention, I love the image you used with it, also !
Beautiful combination.

Jannie Funster said...

A locket made of leaves.

All falling down to brown.

Layering forever into granite, eventually to the hot hot core.

(I remember a chick on General Hospital, she always wore the same color lipstick for the 5 years she was on. I called it bronzed salmon flutters.)

Art and Poetry said...

Very original! there is something about leaves and poetry.

Mama Zen said...

That's gorgeous!

Fireblossom said...

Thank you, everyone. Tracey-Ann, I've had that pic for a month or two, but when I posted this poem, I went straight for it cos it really did seem perfect for this.

The Chokecherry poems take a lot out of me, but they're worth it.

Reverie said...

Something about a poem.
You are never quite the same once you read one, but the change may be so subtle it goes unnoticed until your heart reminds your soul of how beautiful that poem was.

Beatrice V said...

...Settle on the surface like recaptured kisses... stunning Fireblossom, I love this poem of longing.

Sharkbuttocks said...

So powerful!

The water looks so soft, it reminds me of your lips


And how your arms slipping around me made me feel rapturously weak,


Like an escaping soul.

Fireblossom said...

Reverie, thanks and welcome to The Word Garden!

Beatrice, I'm really glad you like this one. And, it's just always nice when you come visit!

I'm glad you like that part, Sheena. It's hard sometimes to describe how those types of things feel.

susanna said...

You speak so directly from your heart... Beautiful.

Fireblossom said...

It's always a joy to me to find a comment from you, Susanna. :-)