Monday, June 22, 2009

Letter To Myself



For Bice, who may or may not be a succubus! ;-)


Having been marked by a succubus at the age of 16,

You know one when you see one.

I know, she will say, oh,

I am only this, or I am only that,

As if she were as common as cornflakes--

But you have been doomed from the beginning.

Admit it, you knew.

Admit it, you're glad.


Go ahead and ring your bed with little paper bibles--

Her lips on your ear will teach you a different scripture;

The gospel according to

Her mouth

Her voice

Her hands

Her hair.


Whether you believe or not, she will convert you.

Whether you convert or not, she will set you aflame

Like some ecstatic saint.


Go ahead and struggle, it's even kind of cute--

But sooner or later, you will have to sleep.

Sooner or later, she will have you, body and blood and bones--

And you will wake yourself, too late,

With the sound of your own moan.

___________


The very smug Miss Beatrice will not allow me to publish her picture here, and so actress Ellen Page stands in.

14 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

:)

pheromone girl said...

Rightly so, if she's beautiful like the song says. After all, beautiful and Capricorn is a deadly combo!

Scarlet said...

The gospel according to her mouth, voice... Ooh, I LOVE THAT!! :)

Pouty Lips said...

The gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Beatrice, and John. Mewah.

Shadow said...

i've been drawn right in...

Jannie Funster said...

Oh noes, I will take stay-awake pills. I not wants to get my blood sucked.

Daryl said...

What a delight ... and tell that silly Bice to stop being so .. silly

Mama Zen said...

No wonder she's smug!

K said...

I like it.

And I really like the picture too.

Yaya said...

Great writing.

Merisi said...

Congratulations on winning David's Post of the Day Award, truly delightful poetry, full of wisdom!

Brian Miller said...

wow, haunting beautiful words. congrats on POTD!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Thanks to POTD I dropped by. What a lovely poem, and Ellen Page looks fantastic in that shot.

Pouty Lips said...

Congratulations on post of the day!