Monday, May 30, 2011

SCRY

scry [skraɪ]vb scries, scrying, scried (Spirituality, New Age, Astrology & Self-help / Alternative Belief Systems) (intr) to divine, esp by crystal gazing

 Scry a flock of wild birds; a shouting, clamorous group.
Example: scry of fowls (wild fowl), 1450.
 
Your hair was a crow's wing on snow
And you had that hooker laugh.
On my knees, I looked down at you...
I swayed;
I was an open door in the wind.
 
My arm was bare, stretched out like a moonbeam--
Your head tilted back,
Your eyes fluttered;
My gypsy fingers came back wet.
 
Never tell a blackbird's fortune.
Never taste something too good to live without.
You held my breast in your hand like a nest,
And I fell through space
To perdition as if it were paradise.
 
My vile, beautiful, profane darling,
Never again will burning feel so sharp and fated.
If I turn to ash on the breeze,
What of that?
I saw and loved your sly smile.
I searched out and touched your scratched, bloody, gorgeous heart.
I heard and understood your hooker laugh when, light-headed and lit, I asked you please baby,
please,
Stay.
______ 

14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oo la la and umph...you got me wishing she would stay shay...

Susannah said...

Ooooh, you have done it again Shay, left me smiling and delighted at your way with words. Just wonderful writing! :-))))

Sioux said...

Shay--I hate commenting on your poems, because I want to note (and quote) the lines that blew me away,so I have to move the comment section around, and whenever I page up to see the poem, the comment section "disappears" and then I have to bring it back up and then...wah, wah whine...

"...a crow's wing on snow...a hooker's laugh...the whole third stanza---just gorgeous...light-headed and lit...please stay"

The plaintive tone of your poem (at least how I'm reading it) reminds me of the end of a Pink song (you probably don't like her). She sings, "Please, please...don't leave me" and sounds quite vulnerable.

Mama Zen said...

Gorgeous, sensual, earthy . . . perfect, Shay!

hedgewitch said...

There is a rawness of loss to be scried here under the incredibly rich and evocative imagery that defines the whole piece like shadows define the light. "Never tell a blackbird's fortune..." One of your best, wildest, cleverest gypsy lines ever.

Lolamouse said...

You do have a way with words! I love "I swayed; I was an open door in the wind." Perfect imagery. Also "Your hair was a crow's wing on snow." Also the 3rd stanza. Once again, amazing!

Lynn said...

Delightful.

Hannah Stephenson said...

"Scry" is such a loaded word...really interesting what you have teased from it...

Daryl said...

I scry all the time .. ;-)

Helen said...

Intensity X 100 = gazillion!

Raven said...

Stunning. Full of raw intensity. It makes my heart ache and bleed.

LL Cool Joe said...

And I bet she did.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

From first fantastic line to last, a riveting poem. The feeling of loss is palpable. It hit me right in the heart, Shay - your writing is sheer wizardry. You are brilliant!

Lisa said...

WOW!!

It's a rich banquet in here and I'm going to keep coming back for the feast. Shay, you spoil me for others, lol, Delicious!