Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dreams Within Dreams*



I dreamt that

I was at your house

(what house?)

And I woke from dreams and reached for you.

My heart was full of love

And you were as beautiful

As you have always been to me--

It was dark;

I could barely see.


I was talking softly to you,

Touching you,

And because I was still half-held in sleep,

I forgot,

And was as open to you as spring leaves.

You leant into me,

But your voice broke;

You said,

"Shay, I can't do this."


It was raining slightly on the streets outside

As you gave me

Some jeans and a yellow top of yours to wear

(Yellow? Would you ever really wear yellow?)

And so I

Wrapped myself in empty space where you had been,

And woke up to write this poem.

_________


*privately, this poem has a different title...the name of the city where Beatrice lives.

15 comments:

Pete said...

unbelievably sad
beautifully written though

Tabitha Bird said...

Ooh great poem. what an awesome dream. I love the line, "to wrap myself in the empty space where you had been." Beautiful!

Fireblossom said...

Thanks so much, Pete and Tabitha.

I went back to bed for an hour or so after writing this, and woke up with a song just absolutely blasting in my head: the Psychedelic Furs "Heaven."

I could almost believe my brain is trying to tell me something.

Shadow said...

oh this is sad... wrung from the heart...

ellen abbott said...

Shay, sometimes you break my heart.

Dulce said...

You dream I dream she dreams...
Day dreaming... so sensual. as good as it gets!

K said...

It's beautiful...and so sad.

Daryl said...

A rose by any other name ...

Ily said...

Ok, you've officially broken my heart, Chica. This is beautiful but so, so sad. :(

Riot Kitty said...

That is sad and beautiful, but also so well descriptive of a dreamy state. Again, wish I could write like you! I love the Psych Furs btw.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I hate it when I have what I who or want in the dream only to wake up and it/them not there. Powerful poem, it brought a feeling of loss over me when it ended.

Cloudia said...

You are our Dante of longing, Shay\\\




Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

mac said...

Wonderful.

Sadly wonderful.

I feel these lines as if I were there.... or here, in a like predicament.

Yesterday, I saw graffiti,with some impressive artwork, that said, "Love Kills Slowly".
I thought, "He knows too".
But I wondered, too, if the artist knew that beauty such as This can come from that agony, that the pain is so great merely because the love was exquisitely pleasurable.

I wonder if she knows....

Mama Zen said...

To me, this is one of the most intimate pieces you've written here. Very sad and beautiful and real.

Pouty Lips said...

Beautiful.