Saturday, November 21, 2015

Michigan Apple Pie

This morning, there was
a cup and a quarter of flour, with its nubbly surface reminding me
of the old-fashioned patterned white bedspread in our room.

There were
ten tablespoons of cold butter, such a sweet yellow,
like November sun above the newly bare trees outside our kitchen.

Funny how a twelve-inch circle of dough
can fit into a nine inch pie pan, by rolling and unfurling it
with the pin. Did you know how your smile captivated me, and still does?

I like a lattice top--
there is an art to weaving the strips one over the other,
inviting and concealing, both. I say "I love you" every day, then hold my peace.

Right now, I can smell the apples
in the oven, and some still in the green bowl I always use,
sliced and ready, but too many. Still, I'm in no hurry to put them away.

Tonight, there will be pie--
you will have seconds, then smile and say how full you are.
That is your favorite moment, but as I rinse dishes before coming to bed,

I'll be thinking of morning, and how the kitchen was clean, quiet and ready.
_______

For Play It Again Toads #23. I used Bjorn's "Time Travel" challenge, which asks for a poem using past, present and future tenses. 

18 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is golden, Shay.

Other Mary said...

Warm, sweet goodness!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh my goodness, I love the sound of this life, and this kitchen. Sigh.

brudberg said...

The smell of apple-pie is the best sign of love ever. If there is something that I think belongs in poetry is smell... Wonderful

Jennifer Wagner said...

Mmm...I love the way your poems make me feel them. What a gift you have, Shay.

Sioux said...

The lines are sweet, the images crisp, the undercurrent juicy... Whoops, I went too far with that last one.

As alaways, brilliant, Shay.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Just totally lovely in every way!

Outlawyer said...

Agree with all the above comments--really lovely--sweet, fulfilling, "poignant"--a word overused but apt here. And best of all, has pie. (And apples) (Bonus--green bowl.) k.

angie w said...

Lovely pieces of yellow, November, lattice work & love.

Susan said...

LOVE. Truth how the shapes and colors and all take us back. Love the bedspread especially

ஜிப்சி பனி said...

I keep coming back to this, over and over again. And every time I taste it, it's every bit as delicious as my first bite.

hedgewitch said...

Wistful, evocative, I can throw adjectives at this all day, but I'll never touch its sweetness with words--this is just beautiful, like light on water, like the smell of home.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

This was a magnificent write, juxtaposing the living act of baking with relationship memories. This was especially wonderful as I'm on a one day fast, so it was hard to read and not lust for pie. La la Mosk

Mama Zen said...

This is so damn beautiful, Shay.

Gillena Cox said...

so sensuous, really a beautiful piece

much love...

Mr Puddy said...

Shay, don't you are interested to make a meat pie next time =^x^=

Marian said...

Gorgeous, love this.

Hannah said...

Really beautiful work, Shay...I love the closing...I can relate to that feeling, too.