Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Mums

When I die,
may it be at mid-afternoon, in autumn.
May there be a a westerly breeze
carrying the scent of a burn barrel not much distant.

When I die,
lay my dog's old leash and collar across my hands.
If my life has had roses, sunflowers, asters,
leave me with simple mums

Like distracted children made to see off 
an old auntie they hardly know
and who is less interesting
than today's red leaf, or tomorrow's taste of cider.
_____

for Sunday Muse #46
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Gosh!! Not for a long time, please.
    Beautifully written and thought provoking . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, wrong email used. This has the correct link . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni--Like it, fren? It would please me no end if you did.

    Blue--get it together, buster. We are very correct around here yanno. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful read, Shay.. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the thought of taking my dog’s old leash with me. And the distracted children — getting on with life. Thank you for a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really lovely read, Shay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Shay this is so beautiful in all of the sadness that it evokes. That second stanza really got to me! Kleenex's needed.....
    . .
    . .
    .





    ReplyDelete
  8. To be remembered as a garden Mum, hardy and long lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I love the idea of being remembered with/as mums. They bloom in such lovely colors and even when frost hits them their roots push up new greenery and blooms when warm weather comes again. I am sure you are in no hurry to exit so don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I especially loved the "burn bucket" line, but I could copy and paste the whole thing into this comment and call it all "incredible."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking there will also be peonies ~

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?