Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, March 23, 2020

Centering

"Get in the middle," someone said,
but I could not find it. 
The group grew impatient, irritated, 
began chucking stuff at an effigy of the facilitator.

"This is your fault," said an old woman,
waving knitting needles meaningfully at us.
We fell upon her, reading favorite passages
from the handbook to her in Portuguese.

There was a trust exercise.
We pitched each other out the upper windows
until only a few weaklings were left.
"It is finished," we said, and assumed our roles.

Back at work on Monday, we sprouted feathers
from our backs and began assembling in groups.
"The song of my people," you said,
and began barking like an asthmatic. 

Next weekend, paintball 
to mortify the flesh,
exalt the soul, 
and occupy us as smoke rises over the city.
_______

I am starting my April poem-a-day now, because the voices told me to. 

7 comments:

  1. Good. Listen to those voices. All of your readers will be grateful for a serving of Shay every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't find a middle that isn't there, or create trust if you are untrustworthy. Another surreal look at the insanity that passes for normal in the world around us, enscribed by your sharpest scalpel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the games begin, as the voices suggest! This poem is a great way to lift off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!!!! I am so excited to be able to read your poetry every day!!! Glad you listen to the voices Shay!! This yells the truth of the sheer insanity that is a sad reality right now whispering in everyones ear...too close for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not be happier that you’re starting early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are you ON??? Because I want some! HOW do you think up such things? I absolutely adore this poem, enjoyed it immensely, with a big grin, and am in awe at your powers, as always. This one is spectacular. Love the trust exercise and throwing people out the windows especially. I was never able to fall back in that exercise. I KNEW no one would catch me. Love the old woman and her meaningful knitting needles. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beyond amazing. I started pulling out quotes, but then had quoted the entire poem. Paintball to mortify the flesh!!! I almost can't take it that is so good. The trust exercise... Everything that speaks to our current Apocalypse that leaves the city in cinders, our herding into self-care and Thorazine nostrums.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?