Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Menger Hotel

The Menger Hotel

They say the Menger Hotel is haunted.
When it rains, The reflected lights make the street seem afire
And when you walk into the Menger,
The inside seems outside
Adobe walls and windows behind which lovers sigh
Line the corridor to three floors up
Like a street in a dream.

The Catholic cross against your warm olive skin
Made me feel exalted and trashy all in the same moment;
Made me want to take you upstairs and pray to you
With every dirty word I know.
In the Menger Hotel
The reflected light made your black hair seem to blaze;
I joined your dress on the floor and you
Sat on the edge of the bed and
Laughed like the summer's most beautiful devil.

They say the Menger Hotel is haunted
So is the St. Anthony
So is the riverwalk
So is every place we kissed in the shadows
Haunting me still when the night is dry
And I am Alone.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, I love this poem,
    the marriage of sensual and
    spiritual is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cynthia. I know another poet who does that very well...you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you well
    in the Menger Hotel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sad and lonely ending. The rest is so lusty.

    My favorites:

    "The Catholic cross against your warm olive skin
    Made me feel exalted and trashy all in the same moment;
    Made me want to take you upstairs and pray to you
    With every dirty word I know."

    "I joined your dress on the floor and you
    Sat on the edge of the bed and
    Laughed like the summer's most beautiful devil."

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?