Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, February 26, 2024

Word Garden Word List--Shakespeare Bats Cleanup

 



Happy Monday, my little seamheads! It is almost the end of winter, and down in Florida and out in Arizona, the baseball teams have gathered once again. Can spring be far away? In honor of the return of my first and truest love, your word list this week is taken from a fun little book called Shakespeare Bats Cleanup by Ron Koertge. 



The book is the poetic (?) musings of a young first baseman who finds himself felled by a case of mono, and with time on his hands, he starts writing. He may not have known a ballad from fruit salad when he began, but somehow a certain knack starts to appear. 

Says Koertge: One night my wife and I drove to Lake Elsinore to see a game. It was 10-zip in the fifth, so I started working on a poem. Not far away, while his father dunned him about batting stance and gumption, a boy of ten or eleven was writing something too. We exchanged a conspiratorial glance. On the way home, I told my wife I had an idea for a new book. 





Whether you've got chalk dust on the brain from baseball or blackboards, I hope you'll enjoy this List. What we do here is to use at least 3 of the 20 words provided in a new original poem of our own. Then just link up, visit others, and root, root, root, for the home team! This List is active through Sunday. 

Your List:

bamboo
baseball
beret
burgers
disguises
fable
fracas
gallery
garage
holiday
hospital
mutant
pinata
pine
radio
salute
scowls
sharks
Spanish
whiffy


10 comments:

  1. What a fascinating idea, and a great list, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “…commas were his knuckleballs — pauses and line-breaks in the poem making the words float up, down, sideways, the reader stymied and whiffing at the stanzas…”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at the farm, home Wednesday. Hope to join in then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the very interesting words, not sure if my poem is anywhere near Shakespeare , but it was a good challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's gooo! Baseball is my first sport love, too! Just went to my first Spring Training game of the season down here in AZ a few days ago and going to another on Saturday. We live just a few miles from one of the Cactus League ballparks. So much fun--I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sent me down Whacky Track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baseball Season is upon US! I feel as you do, my first and forever "sporting" love. Will give this an at bat attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a cool one Shay! I had a busy week with last follow up and meetings to back to work Saturday. I will see what happens for this week. So glad things are going well here at the list! It is a wonderful prompt my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My poem basically sucks, so not going to post it…

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?