Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

All The Little Flamingos

 

All the little flamingos
who used to hang around eating candies
turning themselves pinker by the hour,

where are they now? 
They used to carry Rod McKuen in boho bags
and spice their spring water with Tanqueray. 

All the infallible flamingos
confusing the Salton Sea with the Isle of Capri,
posing on one leg, demure and goddessy.

I miss the little flamingos
riding in paper gondolas, hating the pea hens,
in love with themselves, beatifically banal. 

I misremember the little flamingos
smiling behind Japanese fans, loving leopards
on screens for their mysterious silence.

So shallow and fresh, faces dipped
to the worst most brackish water, honking unmusically,
naked under their feathers, one more awkward than the next.

All the little flamingos.
Scornful, inscrutable, fragile flamingos.
I was there with them.
I was one of them. 
_______


9 comments:

  1. So imaginative it blows me away. I love every line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so many things we used to enjoy are gone, whether or not we remember or misremember them! So much disappears as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flamingo's are exceptional - My first introducing was buying a Christopher Cross Record in the 80's. Very vivid images and words in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you could write this poem, so full of rich images and sneaky left hooks. I'm tempted to call it charming, but it's so much more than that. I love the Salton Sea/Isle of Capri rhyme, as well as "beatifically banal," and too many more to quote. It reminds me of youth and foolishness and deep waters that turn to flat salty marshes. Just excellent writing, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with hedgewitch and Sherry. So wonderful, charming, imaginative, etc. And the end made me turn around and read it all again. FOr some reason the line about being "naked under their feathers" really stuck out for me. I mean aren't we all? But it's profound... what we hide under.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Full of color, pretty feathers with much darker meanings. I so adore this "I miss the little flamingos
    riding in paper gondolas, hating the pea hens,
    in love with themselves, beatifically banal." I could have copied and pasted the whole poem I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so fun to read and perfect for the idea of reading a poem out loud! The third stanza is my favorite! I can relate with the ending. I think looking back we realize how over the top with ourselves in life we can be when we are young! I love how you brought that to life so wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. “ hang around eating candies
    turning themselves pinker by the hour” I can’t stand it. That is so great. And “confusing the Salton Sea with the Isle of Capri” hilarious but also amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this poem, especially these lines:

    "spice their spring water with Tanqueray."

    "All the infallible flamingos"

    "posing on one leg, demure and goddessy."

    And the last stanza - wonderful 👌🏼

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?