Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, October 14, 2013

a delay in moonlight

Here is what I think it was--
the edges of elm leaves were oval, like slow hours,
and they fell along the edge of the creek,
yellow as the lights in strangers' windows at early dusk.

Here is what hurt my heart--
a delay in moonlight, as the last crickets stumbled,
bewildered, into the crack in the dry wood 
at the base of my step.

I have been hearing them even in the overcast afternoons--
they know that my favorite soft black boots will only last
for one more season,
and that by the time it gets here, you will be gone.

Here is what I think will happen--
there will be ice, a little further from the banks each day,
and both itself and the elm leaves caught in it
will have edges, like each breath I take from now on.

Here is what I think it means--
there is nothing I could have done,
because the moon is caught in a reflection at my feet,
but will ripple and blur with the first step I take.
_______

 
 

16 comments:

  1. so sad...

    my favorite line was: the edges of elm leaves were oval, like slow hours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartbreakingly marvellous, like walks in the purple North woods when one is 20, that are remembered with deep emotion for the rest (so far)of ones (surprisingly) long life.


    Like that, Shay.



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=





    ReplyDelete
  3. the wisdom of crickets, and each verse catching in your throat. marvelous. ~ M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the best drama is no drama--the soft notes of this hit the ear with a soothing sense of a sadness so etiolated it is almost mellow, a logical exposition of psyche to heart of what heart can never understand but must accept...beautiful as the last drifting yellow elm leaf, Shay, or the moon's inconstant face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your "statements of fact" at the beginning of each stanza. This piece is the poetic equivalent to a college thesis, but infinitely more enjoyable to read. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of leaves edged with ice and the winter imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply and astoundingly beautiful, Shay. I cannot point to a favourite part because I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This felt like such an emotional piece. I especially loved "the edges of elm leaves were oval, like slow hours"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impeccably crafted, breathtakingly beautiful heartache. The second and last stanzas are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart is beating faster.

    Your Words F*cking thrill me and stab me at the same time.

    I LOVE)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. ..."will have edges, like each breath I take from now on." This poem goes straight to the (broken) heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the closing lines of this poem. The idea of the "moon" being caught in a reflection, but being altered in the first step. That sense of inevitability.

    I also really liked how you maintained the "Here is..." lines.

    This poem made me sigh. There such a wintery melancholy to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This really is breathtaking, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The opening and closing stanzas move me.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?