Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Lullaby Of A Beautiful Girl

I'm a beautiful girl, made of ice.
I am water when it stops moving.
If you want me, it is either because you're crazy,
or because you see summer, still, inside me--
a season preserved that you can't touch.

Invite me in anyway, murderer.
Make love to me with a hammer;
don't kiss me unless you want us to stay that way forever,
not eating, not speaking,
like poets, or the damned.

I was an urchin once, making cat shit castles in my sandbox,
wondering what I'd be when I became a woman.
It rained and I became a mermaid instead--
winter stilled the waves and left me half in and half out,
half a woman who will never bear a child,
half a fish caught on a glittering hook.

I'm a beautiful girl, made of ice.
I am water when it stops moving.
If I want you it is either because I'm desperate,
or because I feel summer's seed, still, inside me--
a season destroyed, yet suspended in my touch.
_______

7 comments:

  1. I hear bittersweet wistfulness & longing in this beautiful write. I felt it down to my bones & soul. XO :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It rained and we became mermaids instead...... I'm realizing that more and more.










    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I am especially struck by "because you see summer, still, inside me". Which makes me think of e.e. cumming's invincible summer (that I love). The image of the ice maiden/mermaid, "half a fish caught on a glittering hook." Killer poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I super-love this poem. This is my favorite part:

    "Invite me in anyway, murderer.
    Make love to me with a hammer"

    But I adore the whole second stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow-ee. this be a tour-de-force! La la mosk

    ReplyDelete
  6. "not eating, not speaking,
    like poets, or the damned."

    I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every word is a green tattoo of life over emptiness, and yet, and yet, the emptiness remains unchanged, sinuous, alive, devouring--a gorgeous, somewhat terrifying poem in every way possible, Shay. You are writing at the very top of your form.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?