Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Summer

What's with the weather, anyway?
If I wanted to live in some sweltering buggy outpost, 
I would wear a pith helmet and talk nonsense about rare beetles;
do you see me doing those things?
Doesn't National Geographic handle all that?

I have caught myself in a few rare moves lately, though, I admit.
I blame it on losing sleep.
I never know anymore whether I will put a sachet in the guest room drawers,
a bag of dog poop,
or one of Muffin's dead mice.

Behold the end of the world, when fey devils employ a single match
to devour, with light, all that is, and then almost delicately, 
throw the bar,
lock the latch.

Signs of The End are everywhere, not just the tv weather.
Have you seen Trudi Beauty Queen lately?
She's about the size of a zeppelin, and isn't even blonde anymore.
All day, she screams at the help in German,
while stuffing eclairs into her mouth like shells into field artillery.

I think, if it would snow, my chi would center and I could be my usual self again.
Instead, I have to wear sunglasses so huge that I look like a Mars probe,
and I can't see a blessed thing, sidewalk from six-lane,
Trudi from a tarantula,
Greek yogurt from green tea facial mask.

Perdition arrives on the arm of Despair, in evening's early gloaming
announced and feted, by Chinese lantern light,
to faces slack,
and ashy white.

I think I'll throw on a caftan, hire some sherpas to carry the tea cakes,
and go visit Bitsy Henderson, to have her administer a test,
running her finger back and forth in front of my eyes.
She'll tell me, if I'm a little off,
and whip out her planner to tell me that summer isn't forever--

only alimony, crow's feet, and naturally, us. 
_______ 
 

16 comments:

  1. Loved it.. and yes NatGeo is supposed to handle that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signs of The End are everywhere, not just the tv weather.

    Such wise words. The end is near.. sometimes I can feel it in my bones.
    Excellent write!

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like the italicized sections. You get the whole jumbled up feel of a time that is rolling out of control downhill, shaking up and changing everything it carries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard all about the things that Bitsy likes to whip out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. fascinating mix of a variety of details in several different tenors. I especially liked the final punchline.brilliant as usual/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! I love it.

    Oh-vey, doll, you's oughta live here in da swamp where gators, bullfrogs & skeeter hawks are knockin' on mah door axin' for a cool drinka water!! Louisiana summers are like childbirth...you forget the pain till the next one comes a'roastin' your ass!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You, me and crow's feet - now, that's a party! I'll be glad when summer's over. La La mosk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You, me and crow's feet - now, that's a party! I'll be glad when summer's over. La La mosk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! And - is it possible? - I miss Bitsy Henderson!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green tea facial mask? Would this help?!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having your poem back to back with Brendan's I am starting to feel not a little disquieted. Poets are the prophets of their age and the signs are not good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a perfect poem for me to read as I slowly return to blog land. I laughed and you know how very much I love to laugh.

    I feel like I'm a vampire right now. I step outside and start to burn. I have all my shades down, keeping the house as cool as possible. Aggie doesn't even move. She finds a spot (inside) and all I is the occasionally slow blink of a green eye that lets me know she's still with the living.

    I missed reading your poems and glad to be back catching up.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?