Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

Don't worry, Pookie.
There are no dinosaurs on the beach here,
no longboats crammed with Vikings,
no Roman legions trying to conquer the sea.

Wear your flip flops.
Take your paperback.
I made you coffee, because
I am as loyal as Sancho Panza, and as unobtrusive as Dulcinea.

I'm glad we came here.
Once, as a child, I went rolling down the dune--
someone took a picture, and in it there is nothing but me and white sand,
so that I seem to be falling through pure light.

Emily Dickinson is dead, though she's spoken to me since.
John Lennon is dead,
and my favorite dogs, too.
My mother is dead,
but Pookie, there's me. There's you.

No pterodactyl will come pluck us from the beach.
My brother won't come, and make it up with us.
No old lovers will rise out of the surf and say they're sorry,
but there are starfish
and a nice sunrise.

Here is your coffee. Your book. Where is my beach hat?
Let's not miss another wave.
Let's get out of here, like flirts in an old movie.
Let's be silent, let's do Pure Michigan.
Let's hold hands and make out and not act our age.

Let's BE HERE NOW.
Let's be beach bums, feeding the gulls;
forgiving how we got here,
forgetting the way back.
_______

for Susie's challenge at Real Toads. Photo at top by Douglas Salisbury.

 

 

21 comments:

  1. beautifully done. loved this: forgiving how we got here,
    forgetting the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a down to earth poem to soar so high--you get to the marrow of life here, of turning the cliches on their heads by actually living them, by seeing peace as it is, wherever we allow it to be--I would love to be walking on that shore right now--it seems like heaven on earth. Last lines absolutely rule, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heart warming read, really special piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. L.O.V.E.
    I would be unable to say no to this invitation,
    It mentions all the hard stuff, and moves beyond it.
    I picture her walking by your side to the words of the poem.

    And I like the song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm weeping, girl. That fourth stanza just tore me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the emotion in this. I am with Mama Zen, weeping. "forgiving how we got here,forgetting the way back" That is something I need to do. I am writing my to forgiving wounds, forgetting my way back to them. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for taking part in the prompt. The photo you chose is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. btw I had never heard that George Harrison song. Grateful you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My. Goddess! Spectacularly beautiful. "but Pookie, there's me/. There's you." That , starfish and a nice sunrise - a heart doesnt need anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. perfect ingredients for a great day...book, coffee, beach...sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh let's! After reading this, there is nothing I'd rather do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such heartfelt lines! Beautifully done :)

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a post behind. Sorry.

    Shay, I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how complicated the relationship was, it was still your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An especially beautiful close, Shay, but the whole thing is both comfortable and beyond comfortable. Lovely. k.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the thought.. when the beach becomes a safe haven.. almost like a dream where nightmares can't disturb. On certain places monster's from the past are banned.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a most gentle and inviting poem - so soothing to think of a place where no harm will befall one or one's beloved. I especially like the way you worked in the allusions: when you said John Lennon, I thought 'Imagine'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the most beautiful, relaxing poem I've read in a long time. And so inviting. You say "flip-flops," and I'm totally there. :)

    Really, a pleasant pen/insula sounds pretty nice. Insulating. Cozy.

    These are my favorites:

    "no longboats crammed with Vikings,
    no Roman legions trying to conquer the sea.

    Wear your flip flops.
    Take your paperback.
    I made you coffee, because
    I am as loyal as Sancho Panza, and as unobtrusive as Dulcinea."

    "there is nothing but me and white sand"

    "Emily Dickinson is dead, though she's spoken to me since."

    "Let's get out of here, like flirts in an old movie."

    "forgiving how we got here,
    forgetting the way back."

    This is the perfect closing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sad and beautiful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This:
    "No old lovers will rise out of the surf and say they're sorry,
    but there are starfish
    and a nice sunrise."

    And, somehow...this is more than enough...and who could resist it? It's so lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. something about that late August light on water. perfect musical accompaniment, too ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. the last verse is absolutely amazing, SP! love everything about this!

    and gotta love some George Harrison.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?