Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Chatterbox

I chatter constantly
inside my head,
but to you I must seem silent, as remote
as a wild animal, distant by instinct.

All day it never stops,
continuing for half the night.
How I deluge you, and myself,
though my lips stay as still as a rock in a stream.

Leave, then, shaking your head, 
thinking "why doesn't she even try?"
I do nothing but talk, confide, confess,
but even as you go, I stay feral

and shy.
_______

for Magaly's "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" prompt at Real Toads.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, those "inside the head" words. I feel this. I AM this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those words that brew (and stay) inside make for very powerful eyes... eyes that speak as loud as any mouth, even louder, if other eyes care to look and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love this. You know I am half this; I chatter just as much on the outside as I do on the inside.

    The line break after "remote" makes me picture this being a female version of the silent husband, holding the remote control and never speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those words inside our heads that cant be shared....I know them well............I love "I stay feral and shy."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we lock our own mouths. (Sometimes it may be necessary.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terribly human but subtle too, thanks. K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely poem and what a perfect line: "though my lips stay as still as a rock in a stream."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those conversations spinning unsaid fill my head so often.I just haven't been able to express my silence as well as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first stanza is just spotless, Shay. How often the inner voice is only a soundtrack we play for ourselves, and the outer a silent suit of armor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to this - I seldom shut up inside my own head. (Talk a lot too, at work.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I resonate strongly with this - I was this - such a beautifully poignant write, Shay ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is like me, I talk in my head and couldn't get the words out...

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know another girl like that. Well done portrait.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?