Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, January 3, 2022

Word Garden Word List #7 (Langston Hughes)


 Hello everyone, it's me with your weekly word list poetry prompt! This time our source is the great American poet Langston Hughes. Known for incorporating informal mid-century black parlance into his poems, Hughes gave us a rich portrait of the reality of life in Harlem, both the joys and the sorrows. 

I have intentionally left out some of the parlance I just mentioned, because our goal here is not to copy Hughes's own style, but to use these list words to create our own original poetry. If we can manage to include an homage to Hughes in the process, so much the better.


What we do here is to include at least three of the twenty listed words in an original poem of any length or style. Please link back to this post, sign the linky so we can read what you've created, and remember to visit others cos we all love knowing that others are reading what we write. And, as always, have fun!

argument
blood
clocks
coffee
dreams
faces
factory
heart
jazz
landlord
moon
parade
personal
raining
remember
rose
salt
sandwich
taste
weary


13 comments:

  1. Me three!!! I also adore the features poem. It is gorgeous! Thank you Shay for another wonderful and inspiring feature poet and words!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular poem is my favorite of his, Carrie. Glad you like it too!

      Delete
    2. It is a beauty! I am looking forward to ready everyone's poetry, especially your's!!

      Delete
  2. especially loved the blue-cloud cloth - so evocative. Thanks for todays list - I'm short on time and inspiration but jazzed something up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're here! That line is so good, isn't it? I will be around to visit once i have finished working on my own--I don't want to be influenced. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hughes is an old companion. He was one who walked the walk, and left us so much both in his words and his example. I have managed to find a few things to say about him, thanks to your excellent list, Shay. I will be back later to read and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that Langston Hughes strikes a chord for you, Joy, thought it surprises me not at all. I am eager to read yours, but will wait until mine is done, as per normal. Thanks so much for being here.

      Delete
    2. Well, I was forced to write another one--actually, a reworking of the first thing your list suggested to me before I decided to look more into Hughes, combined with a new form. I'm so glad you're doing these lists, Shay. I've enjoyed doing every single one.

      Delete
  4. Late to the party. Thanks for having me. Will be back later to read everyone’s poems. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late, but grateful for your list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish every day were Monday—or that you posted a prompt or poem every day. Something captivating to look forward to ...

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?