Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Ballad In Shades Of Red

Am I your best girl?
Let me ask the doves--
But the gamesman's killed them, one by one;
What was he thinking of?

Am I your best girl?
Let me ask the fox--
But the gamesman's set out poisoned meat
To save his hens and cocks.

Blue morning glories climb the post,
Red roses crowd the door--
I keep my head held shameless high,
My dress pooled on the floor.

Am I your best girl?
Let me ask your back--
The gamesman brings you bright gold rings
And birds with broken necks.
_______

11 comments:

  1. Nice piece! Ever hear of the band mewithoutyou? I think you'd dig their storytelling style...

    ReplyDelete
  2. some of your lines are orgasmic,
    others are slaps!


    Aloha from Honolulu,
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely some fine gothica here, and full of a dark and pearly innocence as well as a grim consciousness of what really goes on in the nobleman's back yard. The contrast just makes it --if you'll excuse the technical terminology--more creepy good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem reminds me of the old folk song, "Black Jack Davy." Perhaps that's not the title--it's been over 40 years since I've heard it--but it's sinister-sad, like your poem.

    Harry Chapin's "The Mayor of Cantor (Lied)" as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. No one can write like you. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobody writes a romantic nightmare like you, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think Buddah captured it perfectly ~ a romantic nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This moves like a formal dance. Just lovely, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, a dance! I LOVED "I keep my head held shameless high"

    Passionately tragic, this write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture is sumptuous, and the words flow across the senses like a heady perfume.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?