Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Book Review : "Owls Do Cry"

Owls Do Cry: A NovelOwls Do Cry: A Novel by Janet Frame
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I first noticed this book simply because the title intrigued me. Since then I have read that the author spent part of her life in an institution, and was saved from brain surgery only by winning a prize for literature. And so this book is certainly autobiographical, to at least some significant degree.

It concerns the Withers family, well-named, consisting of the blustering father, faded and careworn mother, an older sister Francie who dies young in an accident, a bother Toby who is an epileptic, Daphne who goes into an institution after her sister's death affects her behavior, and young Chicks, who grows up to be a shallow status-conscious social climber. The book concerns itself very much with class differences and attitudes, and Frame has a remarkable ear for the way people discuss each other and talk about one another.

All of this makes the novel sound dreadfully sad, and it *is*, but the writing shines. it alternates between straight narration and a sort of dreamy stream-of-consciousness on the parts of Daphne, and to a lesser degree, Toby. The latter is actually more incisive and spot-on than the former, and reads like poetry.

One of the most remarkable passages in the book is Chicks's diary, in which she shows herself to subscribe to every paper-thin affectation that shallow people like her hold as important, indeed crucial. The fact that she is the most outwardly stable and successful member of the Withers family is a rich irony. Daphne, with her disordered mind, actually sees things as they are much more clearly than any of the others.

This is an unusual novel, some sixty years old, and as sad as life itself can be, and yet I highly recommend it because you won't read anything truer or more unique anywhere.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like my cup of tea...........my kind of read. I always say real life is more remarkable and, at times, unbelievable, than anything in fiction....sounds like she based this book on her life experience. I wish she had written her memoir, as THAT would be an amazing read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, there is an autobiography. I ordered that as well. COOL! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this one intrigues me, Shay. I normally avoid any art that asks me to feel pain because I do, too much, but sometimes, as you point out, it *is* worth it. This review of yours, as always such an excellent guide to an unread book, makes me feel this novel might be one of those cases. I will put it on my list, for when I am feeling tough enough.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?