Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Wild Garlic

 First thing in the spring I see the sprigs of wild garlic
and should mine seem a giant's hand that reaches down to harm it,
remember how the neighbor's legions grew to five feet tall
and how I itched to yank and pitch each one of them to Hell,

You'll then indulge me as I hover murd'rously above it
to kill it quick and understand that I shall never love it.
Unchecked, you'll find the stinking stuff takes over every garden,
so if I windmill arms to pull, I do not beg your pardon.
________

11 comments:

  1. There is always that one thug that sneaks in and wants it all. As a gardener, i truly relate...in class years ago we were told "a weed is just a plant out of place." There is definitely a place for this interloper, and you have put him in it. ;) I love the skiprope rhyme here, and the craft you bring even to something this lighthearted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild onions are cool. I can't speak for wild garlic. But then I have never been a gardener, let alone a gardener poet; smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I laughed at the dark humor in this poem. I'd never heard of wild garlic, but it sounds like a fascinating plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fascinating in its capacity to absolutely take over!

      Delete
  4. "should mine seem a giant's hand that reaches down to harm it" - great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The giant's hand is so apt. My friend has borrowed my sunny windowsill to start her kale plants. When she comes to thin them, I actually feel sympathetic pain as she plucks the babies and pops them in her mouth. LOL. I likely have too much empathy. It has not served me well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got a laugh out of this, clever rhyming too...JIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dark humor in this poem, Shay and agree that if unchecked wild garlic can create chaos in the garden. Beautifully penned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! Love the rhyming too. ( I understood this verse)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rhymes, love the images. Like a fairytale dryly told. I always enjoy your style, Shay :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?