Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, February 17, 2023

Word Garden Word list--The Legacy of Ladysmith

 

Hello poets! Have you ever bought a book from a remaindered table and been delighted to discover that you love it? And did that make you wonder how it ever ended up on the sale table? (Hint: we live in a world where Nicholas Sparks is a successful author. To me, that's concrete evidence that we exist inside some kind of sadistic simulation.) In any event, our List this week is taken from just such a novel: The Legacy of Ladysmith by John Kenny Crane.

writer at work

This novel came out in 1986 but it wasn't until 1995 that I bought and read it. I never forgot it afterward. It concerns a writer, Jason Glass (I wonder how he feels about bananafish?) who is researching a mysterious Scottish medical officer from the Boer War named Roberts Menzies. The book is both a sprawling historical tale rooted in actual history, and also a modern-day mystery that takes Jason Glass from St. Louis to Castle Menzies in Scotland and points in between. 

Castle Menzies

I don't know what became of author John Kenny Crane after he wrote this. There is almost nothing about him on line except that he published more books long after this one. Perhaps the long break signifies discouragement at having written such a gem, only to see it remaindered? In any event, I intend to re-read it presently, after I finish posting this!

What we do here is to take at least 3 of the 20 words provided and use them in a new original poem of our own. Then just link, visit others, and sit back in your castle affecting a brilliant Scottish accent!

And now, your List:

ambulance
cannon
codebooks
coy
demolished
fog
foreign
hero
hospital
index
initial
knocker
peculiar
reluctant
riddle
river
spectacularly
syntax
translate
wedding

19 comments:

  1. I always learn something new and delightful Shay. I am not familiar with him but as always I am fascinated now! I guess if I ventured to say I like Nicholas that you never let me live it down. LOL I think A Walk to Remember was a nice story, but I do get it; cheesy, and predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall about the nice, sweet, perfect girl in Walk To Remember, but it never did. She was just nice, sweet and perfect from her hair to her toenails. Nobody's that nice, sweet, and perfect unless they're heavily tranquilized.

      Delete
  2. I will take a look at this in the morning, looks like another great list of words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to what youm will write, Sherry. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Sherry, I tried to comment on your poem but was told there was an error. Have no idea why. Anyway, this is my comment: :-). I think you are too hard on yourself. There are some great observations in here. "She never wanted to have to be that strong". So true. None of us ask for pain or trauma. And yet... and yet... personal growth is so rewarding. And that last stanza - it reminds me of something I heard about some form of Japanese pottery. I think it's pretty famous and not an original thought on my part but they believe that the cracks (once mended) add to the beauty of the pot.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the process is called kintsugi, they paint cracked pots with gold along the cracks. Sorry you had trouble commenting, no idea why blogger is giving you trouble. Thanks for taking the time to comment here.

      Delete
  3. I read the list out to my dogs. They nodded approvingly. They are a tough crowd, so a good showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are always keen about literature. Zacky is currently in the middle of Finnegan's Wake.

      Delete
  4. Another AI generated experiment of mine. Hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds intriguing. I can't find much online and the novel is not available at my favorite Thrift Books site. I wonder why. It sounds interesting. I've never even heard of the Boer War! As you say, when it comes to the publishing industry, we live in the era of mediocrity. The gems are still out there, "Demon Copperhead" and "Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead", to mention two I've recently read, but one has to dig. (No pun intended!) That's what I fear: being remaindered on the sale table.

    I have your word list and gonna see if I can write something worth sharing. Thanks again for a ray of enlightenment. The book is on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Boer wars - the first and the second! Savage, man's inhumanity to man. So many battlefields marked "all dead..." The battle of Blood River...

      Delete
  6. Tried my best, managed to slip in four of those words. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shay! Forgive me for not adding to the word list. I've not had time and it's a busy week. I'll see what I can do before Friday but there's a possibility it may not materialise. Otherwise, it is an absolute devout rain check for the next one :-p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am playing WAY late but i didn't want to write until i had commented on the past prompts! Swamped lately with life in a good way AND i was sick for a bit. Kept checking to see if you posted a list today... i know its just a few who have been writing but it will grow. Just wanted you to know i appreciate this prompt. i'm off to see what i can create...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trying to post here - i hope this doesn't go to your spam. I don't understand why it does that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?