Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Ink Ribbons

 

This is not happening, does not exist
any more than Bogie on the flat screen smoking Camels
and looking world-weary at the bar.
Bogie's dead, eaten up by cancer,
liver hard and beaten-up as a gymnasium medicine ball.

And yet, here I am, and here is my heart
like a twin engine monoplane on the tarmac at Casablanca.
No smart suit and fashionable hat for me.
I want my father's old fedora and his jacket I used to wear
because I loved him, and we both
drove my mother to razor blades like matching bookends
around a collection of Hem and pulp novels and every page
read to her like THE END THE END THE END.

This is prop whiskey, the gin is Dasani water but the lime is real.
This mood, though, it's the view from a blacked-out liner
at night and I can just make out the lanterns at a cafe on the shore
where they drink the real stuff,
spread lovely lies like butter on bread,
and the solitaries read James Joyce with their works in their pocket.
The off-duty ferryman raises his glass. To me? Not possible.

I am the woman with ink ribbons in her hair, erstatz ether bows
imaginary like the humming presses in a 1940's movie scene.
Edit out the brassy blonde coming through the door,
there's only room for one hard case here
with a PI license and a heart of paper, cotton, leather,
but never even around the corner from silver or gold.
So bottoms up, sobersides, please rush in from the rain I've drummed up
and say something nice. It's always 3 a.m. in these scenes

and I long for morning,
                                       and lanterns lit
                                                                 like my father's smile. 
___________________

for Desperate Poets "I wake up screaming: Desperate Noir." 

Image at top: Bing AI

Music: Billie Holiday Willow Weep For Me



11 comments:

  1. Stellar! The mood like "the view from a blacked-out liner at night", the razors like bookends, your father's fedora and jacket.........just such fine writing. I absolutely love those closing lines, which tie the story up in a perfect bow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd how the challenge played out in family dramas for four of this week's responses. Maybe the vibe is strongest a generation back, access to it through family memorabilia, a father's fedora and jacket. In the books read between generations. Also it is difficult to write of gin-soaked places while stone cold sober: but look at the vantage it offers! "This is prop whiskey, the gin is Dasani water but the lime is real. / This mood, though, it's the view from a blacked-out liner / at night and I can just make out the lanterns at a cafe on the shore /
    where they drink the real stuff, / spread lovely lies like butter on bread." -- pure noir, no matter how you guzzle it. Yet because so much real affection is involved here, these noir visitations are fleeting haunts, eclipsed by the real deal which comes in the morning. So bottoms up, sobersides, and get those ink ribbons to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done an excellent job here of merging the nuance of the written image with the play of light and shadow that is cinema, in particular the feeling of unreality that is more real, because more clear and defined, than the real thing. You make a stage set and people it with noir archetypes that are just a hair off center, and so can tell us what formula never can. The personal, ruminant tone of the narrator is spot on, and the last stanza is as compellingly noir as any B&W film. Really well done, Shay. It's hard to quote on my phone, but the ink ribbons and ether bows, and THE END passage really stood out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out on a limb, no hyperbole .... this is my favorite ever Shay poem. (until tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything I want to say has been said but I will add that the ending is as amazing a close to a poem I have ever read Shay! True poetic brilliance my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noir at its finest. Did I read in a previous poem that your father was a writer? You are your father's daughter it would seem and you must make him proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was, yes I am, and I hope so. He passed some years ago.

      Delete
  7. Bundles of rich imagery and a reverent nod to the only hard case in town here at Desperate Poets ;) Tipping my hat and backing away slowly now, as i wonder, did you finish this poem with a Haiku?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The poem reminds me a lot of the good weight of the past that we try to drag into the light of Now, without getting it dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. please remove me from your blog roll, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so filmic and wonderful. I especially love how it ends with "please rush in from the rain I've drummed up
    and say something nice. It's always 3 a.m. in these scenes".

    And you gave me some serious female Indiana Jones vibes and I am always here for that! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?