Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Saturday, September 30, 2023

Baseball Game In The Prison Yard

 There is a ballgame in the prison yard.
A silver dollar stands on its edge on the gallows
and shivers with every hammer stroke.
Hit it and walk free.

An eagle perches on the crossbeam,
worrying at the rope. All the batters are blind
and in terrible slumps. 
In the morning if the rope snaps, you'll see the afternoon.

John Baal, the Babe Ruth of the Big House
swings hard and misses; the earth wobbles
and Krakatoa blows. 
Cigarette, prisoner? Blindfold? 

For my last meal, I request all my past mistakes
and they are served on a cracked plate. 
The eagle is fascinated with its shine and my Morse.
I yell "Pull!" and sling the plate through the bars. 
A home run,
the first in years,
hits it and it blows.

See the eagle and the white shattered stars.
See the runner circling like a constellation.
One way or the other, I will leave this prison tomorrow

like a three-run shot.
________

For Desperate Poets "Desperate Oracles.


I drew one card from my Medicine Cards-- #1, the Eagle. 


I drew another from my Baseball Tarot--major arcana XII the Slump, analogous to the Hanged Man in a normal Tarot deck.

These fit, as I have been experiencing both spiritual power--my sobriety anniversary was Friday--and weakness in the form of a preceding depression. 

Process note: I swiped "John Baal, the Babe Ruth of the Big House" from Philip Roth's "The Great American Novel."



9 comments:

  1. Holy shit, that is incredible. “ For my last meal, I request all my past mistakes” should go into the poetry canon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And “I yell ‘Pull!’” My god.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially loved the mistakes on a cracked plate. I am always amazed and astounded at the words you put together like no one else in the world, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A plate of all my past mistakes- that might be a hard meal for any of us to swallow. I am sure I burnt some meals.

    The eagle is a powerful oracle and spiritual guide. I would embrace it if it were my pull from the deck.

    Peace and light to you…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a tour de force. Full of originality and life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What weird medicine the Eagle works on the gibbet for those who pull at last and late a 4 bagger good for the stars (and three runs). Bleeding hope, that's the uncursing verse of the pair. I had a brief resurgence of it with my Cubs but nah, swing and a hiss. I wonder if there's a Baseball Tarot; surely there should be a card for "See the runner circling like a constellation."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the incongruities and surreal atmosphere here, it reads like real life, and also like some mysterious dreamscape where everything stands for something else but one is not really willing to find out just what. I love every word, each foul ball caught for an out, and every runner making triumphantly for home. Just brilliant writing, Shay, immersive and mystical and plangent with feeling. Out of the park, my friend. ~hedgewitch in case my account doesn't come up as promised by my phone. I never know til it posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy said what I would have said could I have put it so beautifully.

      Delete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?