Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Seven Things



Sioux has saddled me with given me the Stylish Blogger Award. This means I must spill seven things about myself. Here goes:

My seven favorite poets:

1. Emily Dickinson
2. Pablo Neruda
3. Frederico Garcia Lorca
4. Joy Jones
5. Edgar Allan Poe
6. Walt Whitman
7. Christina Rossetti

Seven books that changed my life in some way:

1. "Lady Chatterly's Lover" by D.H. Lawrence
2. "Tess Of The D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy
3. "Jude The Obscure" also by Thomas Hardy
4. "Keeping You A Secret" by Julie Anne Peters
5. "East Of Eden" by John Steinbeck
6. "The Wounded Breakfast" by Russell Edson
7. "The Runaway Bunny" by Margaret Wise Brown
Nope, no self-help books or religious tomes.

Seven women I am dying to kiss:

1. Never mind, but she knows who she is!
2. Emmylou Harris
3-7. there is no 3 through 7

My seven favorite possessions:

1. my books
2. my couch
3. my netbook
4. my Joan Jett barbie
5. my favorite old white sweater
6. Sundance's old leash
7. my three cards from Beatrice (yes, I know, suckerrrrrr)

1 book and 6 movies that made or make me bawl:

1. "Pages For You" by Sylvia Brownrigg
2. "Ordinary People"
3. "Rocky" (Adrienne!!!!!!!)
4. "The Spitfire Grill"
5. "The Crying Game"
6. "The Bridges Of Madison County" (the movie)
7. anything with a hero dog in it

Seven Songs I love:

1. "Memory" from Cats
2. "Gimme Dat Ding" by the Pipkins
3. "Comin' Back To Me" by Jefferson Airplane
4. "Marcie" by Joni Mitchell
5. "Michelangelo" by Emmylou Harris
6. "AC/DC" by Joan Jett
7. "She Moved Through The Fair" (Irish traditional)

Seven things I would not miss if they vaporized tomorrow:

1. professional football
2. reality television
3. the republican party
4. boom cars
5. rap and hip hop
6. guy talk
7. frantic announcers on commercials

Seven things I would like to be, but won't be:

1. prettier
2. out of debt
3. living next door to Emmylou Harris
4. crash landed on the Planet Of The Lesbian Poetry Lovers
5. able to see one more game at Tiger Stadium with my father
6. slimmer
7. satisfied

I pass this on to Mama Zen, Hedgewitch, Lolamouse, Raven, and Ellen.

That's all, folks!

17 comments:

  1. Strangely enough I'm currently memorizing The Raven. I'm halfway there. As I memorize each stanza I'm surprised at how beautiful Poe's words are.

    For example (from the parts I've memorized):

    "And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor"

    "And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain"

    "By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore"

    The more I study this amazing poem the more it sends shivers up my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I should be doing instead of commenting on your post: working on mid-quarter grades (due tomorrow) or doing a million things that need to be done around the house. Instead, I feel compelled to comment (which means, since I want to comment on specific things, I have to keep moving around the comment section so I can reread your post. What a PITA you are!


    List #1 I don't know Joy Jones or Christina Rossetti. I will have to check them out.

    List #2 "The Wounded Breakfast" is not a book I've ever heard of. (I'm always looking for a great book.)

    You have a Joan Jett Barbie? You mean to say they make a Joan Jett Barbie?

    I, too, cried like a baby over "Ordinary People." Have you ever seen the movie "House of Sand and Fog?" That's another sobber...

    Any movie that has Forest Whitaker (I"m probably screwing up the spelling of his name) hooks me. He is a great actor. Jaye Davison (sp?) did a wonderful job,and the ending, with Lyle Lovett singing--perfect!

    "Bridges of Madison"---You and I would be grabbing kleenex together.

    I have loved Joni Mitchell since I was 12, and I do not know the song "Marcie." Is it a more contemporary one? (I'm mired in her older music--Blue/Ladies of the Canyon...)

    If the Republican party vaporized tomorrow, I WOULD care. I would celebrate!

    Do you think your inability to be satisfied helps you as a writer? (Just a thought...)

    You don't have to answer any of these questions, as I am responsible for you making the list in the first place. Your list just got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the peak behind the curtain a bit shay...most movies i am familiar with, actually not so much on the books but will correct that...you have a jaon jett barbie? and hey who knows maybe some of that last list will come true...nice glitter you gots by the way

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that song by Emmylou "Michaelangelo" and I wrote a big paper about "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" in college. A good yarn, but I wouldn't want to read that again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Joan Jett barbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    AND
    I love Bridges of Madison County.

    ALSO - am going to finally pick up and read my copy of Tess Of The D'Urbervilles. You are one of my inspirations, so is only right.

    MISS YOU! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I have the exact same list of seven things we would not miss--except mine is in my head, of course. =) Love it! I'll have to check out your music list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaw, thanks! :D Some of these will be hard for me to answer. For instance, I don't watch movies that make me cry. If something doesn't get blown up or there's no elves or hobbits or dragons in it, I pretty much avoid it. LOL I might have to change that one a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love your lists, Shay, especially the list of things you'd like vaoprized, me, too! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming Back to Me is probably my favorite Jefferson Airplane song!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for award Shay! I don't think I can come up with 7 lists of 7 things-you're such an overachiever! The Runaway Bunny was one of my daughter's fav books. I was partial to Goodnight Moon : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Overall, a very good list. I, however, wuld hate to see Rap go away ;-)

    And, Rocky made an appearance !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just realized I forgot to actually come over and thank you in person for passing this on to me. Thank you in person. Also for putting me on your list of favorite poets--you know you are at the top of mine, at least the ones that are still sucking air. And of course you know I am with you all the way on the vaporizing list, # 3 in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, unless you know a butt load of Ellens, that must be me. thanks. I think. no really. I started compiling a list way back on the off chance that someone would send me one of these things even though we all know that my blog is the black hole of awards. once it comes in, it never goes out. I despaired of ever getting to use my list. I was going to have to invent an award myself and send it to me. of course, my list is nothing like your 7 x 7 list. you're a hard act to follow.

    and what's with the kiss list? I thought for sure Joan Jett would be number one and she ain't even on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shay,

    I do love these blog awards...when they go to someone else:~) I am glad you got this one because it's kind of fun to learn more about you.

    As bloggers, we talk a lot with our fingers, but we often share about our likes, dislikes and the everyday kind of the things you learn about someone -- unless that's the theme of your blog. So, thank you. I now know we agree on a variety of things. Nice to know:~)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't ever want to be completely satisfied because then what is there going to be left to do?

    congratulations on your WELL deserved nomination for poet laureate!

    http://bloggingpoet.squarespace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad to know you better. I'm listening to your Jefferson Airplane song right now...




    http://grooveshark.com/s/Comin+Back+To+Me/flR0t?src=5


    Warm Aloha from Honolulu


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing, Shay. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember, and you're a beautiful soul to me.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?