Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Sixth Life

for Elizabeth

I brought her early light in a leather pouch,
And a snake's head in a handkerchief.
What a fool I was.

Every April, she crouched on the muddy roads
Like something not human.
First warmth carries taint,
And she rolled until she was filthy with it;
Don't think there weren't those who admired her.

A sick sky will deny that it ever held clouds
And a thousand lies without pause will make it rain,
If only in the upturned palm of a lunatic.

I brought her a ring made from poisonous metal,
And instructions on how to drown herself.
A gray cat is no haloed nun,
So if I grew claws from the ends of my fingers,
It was only to prove before the maypoles went up
That God was mad or that she was. 
________ 

13 comments:

  1. Shay, I've read this four times, and it just gets better each time. I won't even try to explain how or why because I'm not sure I know that much, I just know this is one of the best things I've ever read. That middle stanza is beyond my abilities to describe. Fine fine poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meow!


    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Hedgewitch. This one required multiple readings to scratch the surface and see what lies underneath. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sick sky will deny that it ever held clouds
    And a thousand lies without pause will make it rain,
    If only in the upturned palm of a lunatic.


    damn. that may be the best stanza i have read this week...no joke. hot stuff shay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A sick sky will deny that it ever held clouds" - what a line!

    Going back to read it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it over and over, too. Very cool, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with hedgewitch .. re-reading it til I know it by heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem is awesome..... I agree with the rest ... I've re-read it a couple times... still reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fall in line with everyone else. A must read! More than several times. Incredibly powerful, Ms. Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire her, like I admire you...filth or no filth, chica. Brilliant work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this one is really cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm just echoing everyone else ~ this is one of your best and even better with each new reading! i bow to the talent which is Shay! ♥ {i'll even curtsy if you prefer}

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?