Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Alternatives To Seafaring

I've got a bed like a half shell soft,
and a comb for a hundred strokes;
a parrot who speaks like a tony duke
with a holder for his smokes.

There's a vine on the railing and rose in a jar
that floats in my mermaid's pool;
drop your duffel and come to mother--
be a sailor but not a fool.
_______

The earliest poem I can remember being truly fascinated by was Longfellow's "The Wreck of the Hesperus", which my father read to me because he thought I might like it. I did, and would periodically beg him to read it again. He did, bless him, he did, and so I offer this poem with its sound advice to stay the hell off of sailing ships!

For "What sparked your poetic heart?" at Real Toads 
 

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i like the tie-in to your memory with your dad. :)

Cloudia said...

I adore everything about this!




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

georgeplaceblog said...

It is fun to read and a fun read. Love the sassiness

Hannah said...

Love the swaying rhythm and the story of your father's poem...excellent, Fireblossom!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Those sailing ships will get you every time. The tub, on the other hand... all warm welcomes and caresses.

Other Mary said...

Great advice, you can get into lots of hot water without going to sea.

Kenia Cris said...

Light-hearted as mostly everything you write and I adore. I love your rhythm. <3

Outlawyer said...

Super charming-- I can just see that rose. Thanks. K.

Outlawyer said...

Ps-- great title. K.

Outlawyer said...

And great for the date. All kinds. And sorry for repeated comments. Am very tired. K.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

How wonderful that your father read poetry to you..........He would be so proud of your poetry, my friend.

Katy Magee said...

Oh that was fun!

Susie Clevenger said...

What a gift, a father who read poetry to you! Love your poem!

Ella said...

I love your ending~ How wonderful to have your father read to you!
I am jealous ;D

grapeling said...

:). sound advice ~

Shadow said...

An amazing picture you painted once again, I like the sound of that place.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This made me smile, Shay. Loved it!

Marian said...

Oh! Good one. I believe Longfellow would approve of that illustration, as well. :)

Mama Zen said...

I love this!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, how delightful! I'd like to have a mermaid's pool like that.:)

My poem was also about my Dad reading me Longfellow - but in my case Hiawatha.