Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Laika

 


Looking up through the trees in my yard at night,

what does it matter that the stars we see are already dead?*

I look to God as my dog looks to me.

Still there? Good. Anything you want me to do?

Sometimes I think about Laika, the Russian space dog,

so happy (as I imagine) to be rescued from a pound,

given a job and a pack. Did she look to them

as my dog looks to me and I look to God?


They sent Laika into space though there were no sticks,

no fields, no soft bed, no pack to go with her.

She must have wondered where everyone went,

and been so bewildered and lonely.

Who's a good dog?  Oh, you were, Laika.

My own dog looks to me as I look up to God

in tears and asking, still there?  


----

*required line written by Amy Woolard

for Dverse Prosery--Amy Woolard, hosted by my friend Dora. I don't normally write prose anymore, but made an exception. 

Music: Tom Rosenthal It's OK



9 comments:

  1. This hits me right in the heartstrings - dogs looking to us as we look to God....and Laika, sent of into space ("still there?") So moving it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profoundly thoughtful and heart-full as well. Lump in my throat for poor Laika...the coolness of space is no place for a pup. You make the story live, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "coldness" not coolness. autocorrect strikes again.

      Delete
  3. Artfully done, Shay, but raw at the edges with the desperation of one looking for answers that can't seem to be found. Regardless, the trust holds: Laika to her rescuers but they're not God, they throw her into cold, lonely space; we look to God because God's not anything like us (thank God!). But that devastating last line. Heartstopping. "My own dog looks to me as I look up to God in tears and asking, still there?" Even knowing the answer, as Job did, it still sometimes has to be asked, is torn out of us. A tour de force of writing, Shay, as always, my friend. Thanks for joining in the prompt. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad, and it does remind me of the movie, Life as a dog. I don't know if your remember that one (or ever saw it). Poor Laika.... and I am happy for your pup having a much better life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still there, YOU. Lover of pups, Rescuer of pups, those who harm or abandon them should be shot into space ~ one way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so moving. The wordplay of God and dog is not lost on me. Laika WAS such a good dog. What a cruel thing to do, I think. Dogs being such familial sensitive creatures, she must have been so scared. And I don't know where you found that dog collage image but it's bloody fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got chills reading this and still do as I'm writing this. Tears, too. So perfect, so profound, and so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This broke my heart before I looked up the Wikipedia article about Laika. I was in tears before I got to the end. Awful. I like to think that the people who interacted with her in semi-kindness had some kind of hearts. I read that one scientist took her home to play with his children, because he “wanted to do something nice” for her. Another researcher “kissed her nose” and wished her bon voyage. Animals truly are angels. Humans, not.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?