Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, April 22, 2024

Word Garden Word List--Thirteen Reasons Why


 Hello my angsty cherubs, and welcome to this week's Word List! This week our source is Jay Asher's novel Thirteen Reasons Why. It's one of my all-time favorites. A teenage girl commits suicide, but before she does, she makes a series of tapes explaining what made her lose hope. 


It's since been made into a Netflix series which I have not seen, but maybe you have.  The book and series generated a certain amount of controversy, with some saying the story does more harm than good. I disagree, based solely on the novel. It does a superb job of showing how casual and seemingly minor words and actions can have a terrible impact on someone, and are really not minor at all, especially to a young person. 

What we do here is to use at least 3 of the 20 words provided in a new original poem of our own. Then just link up, visit others, and then go down to the cafeteria and enjoy some mystery meat with a prohibited sugary soda. I'll already be there. Cheers!

Your list:

ambulance
anticipates
bamboo
beautiful
bell
camera
cat
coins
happy
joking
juicy
machines
menu
movie
peacock
random
shoebox
slowest
survey
textbook

9 comments:

  1. Will do my best to honor that difficult subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey qbit! Just to be clear, you don't have to write on the same subject as the source material unless you want to.

      Delete
  2. Shay, I saw this on Netflix, and it was haunting but well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve also seen the series and I agree with Sara. It’s definitely worth a watch. At least the first season. The second wasn’t bad, but I think it started losing steam after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. Thanks, Melissa, and welcome to the Word List!

      Delete
  4. You've stumped me with this word list, Shay, but I'm battling my way through rough drafts and hope to emerge victorious. Wish me luck! Better yet, sneak me your poetic thinking cap, at least for the nonce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggled a bit with the list, but then just went straight on dark with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?