Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, April 29, 2024

Palomas Perdidas


"How different it all was from what you'd planned." --F Scott Fitzgerald

 Here's the thing about love--
you can't finesse it for long once it's
worn away
                      like a river stone,
lost in the mail,
the ring gone down the trap.

Oh, you're right, it doesn't stay
cinema big-screen hothouse bloomed
the way it
                   starts out,
all fever-fine experiments in joy.

Just because you get lucid in the drowse of time,
doesn't mean call the hearse,
cut the roses,
ask the waiter for something mild and bland
like some blue hair breakdown of the heart.
No.

When we reduced, though, in the long shadow of years
to a shorthand slang for what used to be
a poem written
                                 with the soul-vase of our bodies,
we became pilots in a sky without any gardens below.

I'm sorry, you know? I envy the old dog still loved,
still a sunrise in someone's eyes,
or to be the one with a candescent heart as fine
as old art,
                    stars forever swirling over lamplit groves.
_____________

for Word Garden Word List--Our Man In Havana

Palomas Perdidas "Lost Doves"

Music: Concrete Blonde Mexican Moon



10 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I scooped the Fitzgerald quote without reading your poem, but we both went on somewhat similar tangents. The lines "written with the soul-vase of our bodies, we became pilots in a sky without any gardens below" are just brilliant. And "I envy the old dog still loved, still a sunrise in someone's eyes" hits me in the feels, as I have only ever been a sunrise in dogs' eyes. However they are the best judges of character I know so I take comfort in that. The word list this week really took me down a path. I love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually try not to read poems for the prompt before I do it, but i was strolling through your blog and stumbled upon it and started reading. Well, you know I love this one, every single line of it, but of course I always love your poems. The last few lines are woeful yet absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a phenomenal poem from start to finish, simply excellent. Too many good lines to quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an accomplished and complex poem that appears simple, but as we know,appearances can be quite deceptive. Here the conversational style disguises a dazzle that only shines fully in its faceted phrases that are worked in like little spotlights hidden by camouflage nets, almost blinding the reader with their light and truth. I especially like the turn in the third stanza which is like the sudden sweet note of a bird in darkness,lifting the poem into those last shining sad stanzas. A master work from a mistress of words, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just see the poet reading this poem with a nostalgic voice, reflecting on a love that used to be. I like the gentleness of the flow and especially the sentiment in these words: " I envy the old dog still loved, still a sunrise in someone's eyes, "

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another fascinating poem, full of images and reflections of love - i especially like the line - "we became pilots in a sky without any gardens below" what an amazing picture - Once again this is really great .

    ReplyDelete
  7. This ... this touched me deeply. Like you stepped into my life for a minute or two. Thank you. [still working on mine]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Powerful alchemy of words, Shay. They touched me deeply. How do we outgrow what has outgrown us when we still yearn to be "a sunrise in someone's eyes"? An eternal longing in every heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Este poema es perfecto. Wow. I love this from title to close. But, dang, those last two stanzas are sumptuous. You make longing and heartbreak gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "When we reduced, though, in the long shadow of years
    to a shorthand slang for what used to be
    a poem written
    with the soul-vase of our bodies,
    we became pilots in a sky without any gardens below.

    I am haunted by this stanza!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?