Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, April 1, 2024

Word Garden Word List--Pages For You

 

Hello my little bookworms! I've had a song in my head as I've started on this week's List. Hurt so good... come on baby, make it hurt so good. Sometimes books don't end like they should; they make it hurt so good. You say that's not the right words? Oh gosh, are you sure? Because I had a recent convo with Pearl Ketover Prilik about books that'll break your heart right in two, but somehow... you love them for it. Readers are kinda weird that way!  


There have been three books that totally broke my heart and left me a mess for days after finishing them. One was the one that Pearl mentioned--Anna Karenina. Oh, that train. 


Another was The Hunchback of Notre Dame. When Quasimodo goes to the graveyard and... well, I don't want to talk about it.  To my mind it's the greatest, saddest ending of any book, ever. 




And the third? It's one that you may not be familiar with: Pages For You by Sylvia Brownrigg. I bawled at the end. I absolutely melted down. It's a love story, a coming of age story, and a genuine heartbreaker. There is even a sequel, called Pages For Her. I own a copy--have for years--but I've never read it because how could it possibly measure up? What if it changes everything that I loved so much about the original. *Pokes the sequel with a stick* Nope. Not today. it might break my heart too! 

Today's List is made up of words from Pages For You. What we do here is to use at least 3 of the 20 words provided in a new, original poem of our own. Then just link, visit others, and don't have a Total Eclipse of the Heart! This prompt stays active through Sunday. 

And now, your List!

anywhere
bookmarks
cartoonish
Coke
composer
dormant
experimental
forbidden
heartbreak
high
interviewed
muffin
pompous
Russians
sloppy
smoke
surferish (surfer-ish)
vapidness
waitress
wildness

7 comments:

  1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Wuthering Heights, Anna Karenina - in my teens. I thought then that those brooding emotionally unavailable men in the latter two books were romantic rather than churlish - clearly leading me to be attracted to the same in real life. LOL. Will be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus To Kill a Mockingbird. These are just my teen years faves....have been reading an armload of books a week since I was five. Too many memorable ones to list as an adult. Especially the last decades reading mostly memoirs which top fiction, in my book, every time, as real life is way more amazing than anything one can make up.

      Delete
    2. I love The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, both the book and the movie. I have to agree with you about Wuthering Heights. As for what you Ilke to read, that's up to you of course.

      Delete
  2. Great list, Shay. Working on my contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing list and one that is certainly open to interpretation. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Anna Karenina, cried buckets, but the Hunchback was so crowded with injustice that I could hardly weep for wanting to spit, so much so that I grew angry at Hugo for taking me there.

    Love the list - just finishing up my entry into the WG sweepstakes. 😉

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?