Monday, July 20, 2009

Do Not Think



Do not think

That because I am gentle, that I am weak.

Do not think

That because I am not young, that I am not beautiful.

Every year has brought me something precious, as if time were travelers

And I were some expectant Queen.

Do not call me

By anything other than Ma'am, Miss, or my true name I have given myself--

Not if you want to be heard.

Not if you want me to answer.

Do not think

That because you have treated my heart carelessly

That I will stop loving.

Do not think

That because I was not born with wings

That I cannot spread them full across my shoulders--

Protecting those I love,

And showing off every color I have collected at such cost.

Do not think

That I am not woman,

Butterfly,

Angel.

Do not think

That because I am flawed, human, and uncertain,

That I am not a true daughter of the Divine.

To know me is to know a miracle.

Do not think

That I am anything less than that.

_________


24 comments:

Pouty Lips said...

Great work!

Riot Kitty said...

Amen, Twin!

Riot Kitty said...

PS Roar!

Kay said...

True dat! :)

G-Man said...

You are indeed a gentle, strong, beautiful, loving woman....

I know....so do your friends!!

jinksy said...

I'm sure we're all miracles in our own way :)

K said...

I love this one.

As someone who always felt her outside didn't match her insides I can relate.

(I'm really babyfaced and people always think I'm "cute" and "sweet".)

pheromone girl said...

Yes!!!! There's my Shay - to know you truly is to know a miracle. I'm one of the lucky few!!!

T said...

I am Woman, Hear me ROAR!!

Perfectly said, and oh so VERY TRUE!!!

XOXOXO

Daryl said...

((((((Fireblossom)))))))))

Zerilda The Superfluous Blogger said...

i'm running out of unique ways of saying 'wow i loved that'. i'm going to have to start saying 'phrase number 302'. (because i don't like starting at 1.)

Lou said...

Nice, Shay..really nice.

Scarlet said...

I want to shout this one from the rooftop!!

david mcmahon said...

A powerful invocation that applies to many situations, Shay.

Shark Butt said...

Very Powerful. Wow, just wow.

indicaspecies said...

Oh, this is wonderful. Very impressive. Thank you.

Reached here from Authorblog...

Denise said...

Just came over from David's Authorblog. This is pretty amazing. Great post!

introspection said...

Very Powerful post. Congratulations for being today's winner at POTD.

Audrey said...

Congratulations on your Blog of the Day nod from David McMahon! Good job.

Pouty Lips said...

You got post of the day all by yourself! Congrats. You rock.

Brian Miller said...

wow. beautiful words. congrats on POTD!

Daryl said...

Back to say congrats on the POTD mention at David's!!!!!!!

Lori ann said...

do not think that

because i am leaving a comment it can come close to giving you the praise you so richly deserve. i want both my daughters to read this.it is truly brilliant.

congratulations on post of the day.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Hi, I came over from David's authorblog. Congrats on the Post of the Day Award!