Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

local girls

Don't be an idiot.
The whole of the ocean
is a fool's desire.
It teems with men and ships
hauling who knows what
to who knows where,
and, really,
who the hell cares?

Dreams are better drawn
from the little
local
bit of wet
at the tips of her fingers.

Once, a lady of advanced years
told me, dear,
every fox goes gray;
every beautiful face 
must give its grace
away or lose it for nothing.

Look out at the water, honey.
Let's leave it,
it will still be there
should we care to come back.
For now, I only desire
the little
local
bit of wet
at the tip of your tongue--

a tide that rides from me 
to you
to me again
sweeter than anything 
any selkie
could pursue.
_____

for Susie's "Bits Of Inspiration" at Real Toads. I pursued a water theme.

photo: from a 1957 issue of Playboy, or so the source says. 

 

18 comments:

  1. Very provocative. A bit of perfection from a nice bit of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excellently do you describe me current wisdom state of mind, dear friendPoet!!!!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lulling in rhythm, and there's a simplicity to the desires here that make them wise. I especially like the line about every fox going grey, and about giving grace away or losing it anyway. A lovely bit of light on the water, reflecting, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the choosing of the small bit of wetness over the whole of the ocean....and then the reference to the "tide that rides from me to you to me again."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "a little bit of wet ... a tide the rides from me to you."

    from the the smallest detail to the overwhelming rush. Pretty much covers it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this . . . the who knows what to who knows where and who the hell cares to the provocative last stanza. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...a great poem *and* I learned what a Selkie is. Nice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have to get to a certain age before you know what really matters. (I've been at that juncture for at least a decade.)

    Hot and sweet at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture is beautiful and so perfect for your romantic poem. That woman was clearly distracted by nothing and needed to be brought back down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Shay ... Stanza three ~~ each word a treasure! Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. I love that picture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tip of the finger
    Tip of the tongue
    The faint prelude to deluge is exciting indeed.
    You spin desire so ageless and beautifully Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You absolutely HAD me at those first two lines. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent look out and looking in, an entire ocean teaming with men and industry or
    you here and now, we two. No imports. Rocking Rhythm. A sweet lullaby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. whoosh. that little bit... ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep looking for ways to say "gorgeous," and "sensual" and "inspired" because I repeat myself w/ every poem you write! Damn, girl, you're too good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness this is beautiful...there is such a gorgeous, intimate flow to your words. You always amaze me. Thank you for taking part in the challenge and your kind words and thoughts for Dawn. Please forgive my slow response to your work.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?