Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Book Review : "Hotel du Lac"

Hotel du LacHotel du Lac by Anita Brookner
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This short novel reminded me a lot of Anne Tyler's "Breathing Lessons" which I hated. They both won a major prize ("Breathing Lessons" the Pulitzer and "Hotel du Lac" the Man Booker Prize), they were both written in the 1980's but feel more like the 1940's, and they both annoyed me as I read them, but this one redeemed itself a bit in the end. Getting there, however, was quite the tedious chore.

The blurb at Goodreads describes this book as "witheringly funny." It is not. There is the odd mildly amusing wry remark here or there, particularly in the opening chapter, but that's the full extent of any humor. The story concerns Edith Hope (This is the second time I have read a novel in which the author heavy-handedly names their character "Hope"), a writer of romance novels and an unmarried woman of a certain age who has been sent to a Swiss hotel as banishment for a social misstep. Heart-stopping stuff we can all relate to, not. The Hotel du Lac is a well-run but stuffy and colorless place for people who like their getaways calm to the point of coma, rather like the bulk of this book. If you enjoy reading reams abut what the women are wearing, what they think about each other, and who took a walk today and who went shopping, this is the novel for you, you wild thing. Reading this book was like one of those dreams where one tries to run but remains in frustrating slow motion.

Everyone cheerfully bullies Edith without malice or second thoughts. She appears to them to be a pleasant cipher, someone to fill an empty chair and behave as they would prefer for her to, but she has more spine than is readily apparent. Suffice to say, I felt I understood her in the end, and was proud of her, but it took the entire torpid, dull, endless, mind-numbingly repetitive book to get there. Not recommended, in the same way that I would not recommend for you to take grandma's dusty old lampshade down from the attic and put it in your living room. It is not charming, or nostalgic, or ironic--it is just lifeless. One star for the first 186 pages, four stars for the final two.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me how you persevere through novels like this one, but I'm glad you do so I can read your always entertaining and sometimes scathing reviews. I can't imagine getting past page 20. Thanks though for doing so yourself and starting my day out with a snarky chuckle. You should be near or past your annual reading record with this one, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, this ties my all-time record for books finished in a calendar year, with 41, set in 1988! My next book will set a new personal high! And yes, I *am* a card-carrying nerd. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?