Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Michigan: A Short Subjective History


Always wear gloves when handling lanterns,

good boots in spring, cowls or hoods in fall.

Mothers kill,

that is what I know.

Fathers carry vinyl primer and epoxy out to the slipway.


I played cards with my father, we lit the diamonds.

Mother was the ace of spades, a concentrated gravity.


Only flame can light a lantern, though fuels vary.

Throw flour on a grease fire,

tarpaulins across fresh graves.


On the water, my father and I, 

we kept our lights above the horizon.

Mother called me by the wrong name

and sent hook-tides to force me back.

There was no electricity,

she had stolen voltage from the fuse box to commit suicide. 


My brothers arranged the funeral, one sad, one stoic.

I danced a sailor's hornpipe,

one arm in the air,

the other on my hip.

Later, I sat on a rock in the rain like a mermaid.


Wear oilskin for weather, tie your hair back for wind.

Cry if you need to while cleaning the oarlocks,

and recite by rote the lakes you know 

by temperature, reputation, and depth.

________

for Sunday Muse #129.



13 comments:

  1. Wow. Words are inadequate in response to this epic piece of writing. I love the sitting on a rock like a mermaid, tying your hair back for wind, and "cry if you need to." And when we think of childhood, we need to. This one goes deep, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wolverine of a poem, your history carrion shredded by its jaws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing gut-wrenching poem. Reared near the Gitchy-Goomey and steeped in the language of a seafarer. This was a riveting read, brilliantly written. I've always loved the ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It was good to hear it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The staccato delivery underlines a deep knifewound of alienation that the stark details hide as much as they show. Someone compared this poem to a wolverine; justifiably. It has teeth and claws but it uses them only as needed, for self-defense or sustenance. A winter lesson written in the icy wind. I love your wordplay on the diamonds and spades, especially.Out of the park again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment can NOT do justice to what I feel and see from reading this Shay! I almost feel like your life has flashed before my eyes! Your word play and imagery is killer amazing!! I love how you have made us see so much with such brevity and brilliant word craft!! Another poem that will stick with me for a long long time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting connection between cards and relationships. It had me pondering hearts.

    There are a lot of deep rooted feelings in this piece. Your
    carefully chosen words convey loss in a sea of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah Shay. There is a biting and a tearing in this poem like you are ripping the flesh from that which has dwelled within — perhaps unwelcome. Feels like anger and disappointment being vented with the force of s volcano. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems a lot have one parent nice the other a bummer. My family was the other way, perhaps because I was a boy. Dad's ear boxings came at least once a week, in the mornings. Worse than that too though. He is dead but I have not forgiven him.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the car today on PBS radio I heard a lady who told when she was young burned in a house fire. Her mother found her but left her to burn. In a bit the father rescued her and threw her in the lake but she is still terribly deformed.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spirit, what do you wish to tell us? I would tell you that no one does cathartic poetry like you ... that you belong in the Sunday New York Times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This...I don't have words or experiences to lay at its feet. It seems both wrong to find it captivating and dangerous to turn one's back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is filled with a snappish reality. The very way you wrote it strikes out at my own spoken and unspoken harboring. Powerful, creative, and filled with your unique talent and strength to write poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Light, fuel, and fuse boxes. This is light trying to combat darkness.
    You are an amazing poet, Shay.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?