Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, January 31, 2021

The Pines


I made my skin call itself snow,

and wrapped that body around my heart.

There was no sound except the groaning of the pines.

The world has died, I said.

I have died, there is no sound except the pines.


There was still the sun, 91 million miles away,

dribbling through the branches of the groaning pines. 

There was still my skin of snow.

There was still my heart, a stunned bird fallen from the pines.


Hear the song of the snow falling from the pines,

falling on itself, increasing itself

in thrall to its remote Master,

saying, we are small white suns without heat,

bright, blinding.


I made my skin call itself cold,

and wrapped myself around my heart. 

I said, idiot pines, here is peace, here is stillness.

The pines stood groaning, green day and night,

oblivious to the Master's moods, saying glory glory.


All the while, my heart stirred, brown and puny,

whispering itself out as friable desire

for light, for voice, for the pines that sway

in the unseen, unending movement

of the empty, restless sky.

_______

for Sunday Muse #145.

16 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful it's nearly flawless. (nothing beautiful is ever flawless, you know) How did you get me to call my skin snow? I hate the cold, but I willingly traded the usual discomfort of myself with your words which crystallized into a teardrop warm enough for me to rebuff the chill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heart is a fragile part we must protect it how we may. This whole poem is gorgeous and deep. It wraps itself around the reader softly yet hard. I especially love the idea of the heart being a stunning bird fallen. You always inspire me with your poetry my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very powerful, moving, deep .... could you have composed this pre-pandemic .... I wonder. Brava, Shay ... brava.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This I like, eerie, cryptic, and all my keys do not work.
    So, ... The Pines, the Heart, all else is make believe.
    Make believe for the Heart, the Pines are constant, stable. What might be next?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. “I made my skin call itself snow”—That is an entire poem, if you ask me. I am completely fulfilled by that line alone.

    This is my next favorite part:
    “whispering itself out as friable desire”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a brilliant, beautiful, masterful poet. Get back to writing daily, if you don’t mind.

      Delete
  6. The pines have a life of their own and the heart a fallen bird when it is breaking, perhaps the pines
    might even snap from the weight of the snow, the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "There was still my skin of snow.

    There was still my heart, a stunned bird fallen from the pines."

    "...whispering itself out as friable desire

    for light, for voice, for the pines that sway

    in the unseen, unending movement"

    What a brilliant piece. I admit I had to look up "friable" but I love the almost-rhyme between "friable" and "desire."

    of the empty, restless sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skin calling its body snow is so amazing. I think I did the same thing.........the heart,
    "a stunned bird falling from the pines" is such an original image, and so absolutely perfect. A gorgeous poem. Always a privilege to read you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep reading this again and again. It isn’t done speaking to me. I will come back when the poem tells me it is time to put those words in writing. Meanwhile, I hear Terra Lightfoot singing that refrain, which feels integral to this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Shay, this is wonderful, an exquisite journey of images — and idiot pines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many stunning lines, Shay. I am not a quoter, but along with the stanza openers, I really loved "..we are small white suns without heat,/bright, blinding." You have captured the essence of winter, of the planet, of the soul and mind, and made that frigid, blinding glimmer feel both terrifying and inevitable. Impossible to know who has the best answer here, but I am leaning toward the pines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your use of color - so symbolic and so well done. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This beautiful poem so brilliantly speaks and exposes the path of a fragile heart. It makes me feel it. I love it when a poem does that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not putting in favorite lines for this one, Shay. I would have to quote the
    entire poem. You awed me with the first two lines.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?