Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, March 14, 2021

This Train


This is the train that circles the sun,

set on a single direction.

Memory has no beginning on this train,

and though I've made my nest in the straw and dirt of an ancient car,

a home in motion never feels like one.


There is no deer trail here, only deaf rails.

The way behind no longer exists except in my longing.

The way ahead is obscured but always near,

like a huntsman and his hounds and so I run while lying still.

This train is containment and escape, a snake eating its tail.


I began helpless but grew strong,

believing the power in my body drove all motion.

I began foolish but wounds made me wiser,

and though I've been quick as winter light and now slow as March thaw,

the train keeps its pace and me with it.


I have leapt and spun in circles and still I rode the train.

Now I sigh and slowly sink to my straw, 

the passing scene softer but filled with phantoms.

My life has been pursuance of prey and sidestepping of traps,

but always, the familiar yet foreign, perhaps imagined

headlong terror of the train.

________

for Sunday Muse #151.



9 comments:

  1. There is a sense of contradictory but meshed cycles--continuity, fear, growth and change--running all through this, and the train metaphor pulls it all along almost too fast to catch, but like any train, you know it's been by by its whistle. I especially liked "The way ahead is obscured but always near.." with it's feeling of impending doom shrugged off by the speaker here: " though I've been quick as winter light and now slow as March thaw,/the train keeps its pace and me with it." A subtle yet clarion clear and very fine piece of writing, Shay, of age, time and the self. Or so I read. That last stanza is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you always amazed me with telling the journey in a way that no one else could have. Every line a morsel of wisdom more. I think only those that have endured the greatest wounds can have this gift to give. Absolutely beautiful and moving like the train itself. I LOVE this my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now? Let me off the roller coaster. What a ride you provided readers today ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the train and terrified of the train - that is an amazing line. I also really love the running while lying still - you capture that guarded, tense, ready-to-flee feeling so well. And "I began foolish but wounds made me wiser" is just so good. Well. It is all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a journey - I love the opening lines and the rhythm that is there
    "This is the train that circles the sun,

    set on a single direction."

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, what everyone else said. Second, inarticulate, but "Damn!" Third, while we always manage to jack some sort of language out of thin air, I have no idea how you jacked all of this. Fourth: "Damn!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this ride through self-awareness.
    Li@tao-talk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myriad facets of life journey encapsulated so beautifully. "The way behind no longer exists except in my longing. The way ahead is obscured but always near," wonderfully depicts the given image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love describing life's journey as being on a train. We travel miles in a cage while pondering the freedom rushing past outside our captivity. As always your writing floors me!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?