Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Remember the Maine

 

(My) lovers might last longer
I say to the dog, a philosopher of sorts himself,
were they more like Teddy Roosevelt
or even Alice. 

They'd look killing
in stiff collars
of khaki
or Irish lace.

Things are never the same
as they appear in the catolog.
Lovers are never as nice
when they want you to do crazy, perverse, upsetting things
like leaving the house.

That innocent carton
knows its milk will go bad, but won't say so.
It still wants to talk about forever,
especially at 3 a.m.

I always recommend blaming the Spanish
for any little thing that may happen to blow up.
You have such honest eyes,
such lovely hands when you take mine.

"Talk to me," you say,
in a voice as warm as Havana Harbor.
"Remember the Maine!" is what I say as you get up to pack,
but Teddy would have grinned
and Alice would have understood.
---------

Image: "Woman Standing In Doorway" by Albert de Belleroche (1864-1944)

4 comments:

  1. Only you would write a love poem with intricate allusions to the Spanish American War--which happen to work perfectly. I do love this one Shay, especially that last stanza which is sly and witty without being bitter. It's a must for when you do your next book, imo. And Teddy and Alice have so much more in common than I ever knew. A very hard tone to pull off, this mix of wistfulness, sarcasm and feeling, all folded into a seamless whole. Just top of your form and bar- destroying stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prompted / Unprompted ... oh how yours sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cackling. I so loved this. LOVE the opening stanza, love the humor (your own particular brand which is unbeatable), love the milk carton knowing its milk will go bad.........I needed this poem today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of your finest Shay! Everything about this amazing poem cries read me again and again...and I shall.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?