Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Poet

 


Loving you is like dreaming I am made of water
and then trying to run within myself.
I hallucinate a sun that rises in you refracting,
while the real one grows dull and tired turning grass to hay.

I compose ridiculous letters on bird feathers about the sky and its desires
with dust ink and lead bindings, to be read in the dark.
Nonetheless, all the brilliance with which you rule me, all the fascination you wield
is just a trick of reflection and depends upon this whim I dress up as magic

like a rabbit out of a hat, a thing that seems like a better thing, grand, ordinary, pure trickery.
____________

for Linda Lyberg's Poetics: Breakfast At Tiffany's. I used the following quote:

“It’s better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes.” 

― Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Three Stories


12 comments:

  1. Your opening two lines are captivating. And I love the ridiculous letters on bird feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I compose ridiculous letters on bird feathers about the sky and its desires'- that line went straight to my heart Shay. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I hallucinate a sun that rises in you refracting, / while the real one grows dull and tired turning grass to hay."

    These two lines are so relatable, speaking to expectations versus reality. Really wanting a situation, person, or relationship to be one way and--yuck--it isn't. It sucks when everything is better in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magical and dreamy. A treat to read your poem. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, with too many lines that i love to quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok - I agree with Sherry's comment, but I am going to share two quotes that I really love:

    " trying to run within myself." (genius)

    "all the brilliance with which you rule me" (so intense!)

    much love,
    David [ben Alexander]
    http://skepticskaddish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Shay. And cuttingly sweet, bittersweet. And don’t we all, sometime in our life, perhaps several times in our life, fall for that “trick of reflection” we “dress up as magic”. But it feels good, in its time. Only later do we see the trick. Wonderful piece here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words smacking like a blacksmith's hammer...leading to that bitter end...lovely imagery as always...and a sharpness...very nicely done...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those opening lines are pure gold! Gorgeous, gorgeous work done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hopelessness/ frustration of the opening lines hits hard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You capture feelings and words like butterflies in a net and then set them to fly right before our eyes. Truly amazing as always my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Loving you is like dreaming I am made of water
    and then trying to run within myself." - that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?