Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fall Planting



When the chill of the days

Suits my contrary ways,

I will tie my hair back,

Gather some things from my shed,

And work on my flower bed.


I can plant bulbs, or spread leaves across the ground,

And these grey days can be the most relaxing that I've found;

I will hold Lady Winter back,

Gather what I can from the final days of fall,

And be grateful for it all.


And if I lose my ring,

Well, I should have been wearing gloves;

I've lost so many things--

My youth, the years, and so many


Oh, so many


Loves.


But when the chill of the days

Matches my contrary ways,

I won't hold my emotions back;

I can blame the wind for my shiver and my tears--

It's just conditions of atmosphere.


And if I lose my ring

Well, I should have been wearing gloves;

I've lost so many things--

My youth, the years, and now also you,


My Love.

____________________________________

18 comments:

  1. It is very nice I love rhyming poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyrical piece. I've enjoyed reading it out loud, and, with a strum, would've loved to sing it with a guitar. It flows beautifully.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words that rhyme are amazing to me
    I love the strength of this poetry
    The weaving of words, the building of song
    The rhythm the make us sing along
    Across the distance all I can see
    Is the power your words hold over me

    ReplyDelete
  4. great work, Shay! the rhythms are very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone. Marty, I loved the rhyming reply! And welcome to the Word Garden, SL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem is very visual. I can just imagine you out in the garden on a cold, grey day, planting those bulbs,thinking of someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely rhythm and rhyme, pensive and nostalgic without being dark. Also so tactile, the feeling of the hands working on the flower beds, I can almost see and feel the soil on my hands.Al;so I like the repetition. And if you lose your ring:) there will be bulbs in spring, who knows... inside one of them there maybe another ring. I loved this Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo, Susanna and Wordcrafter, two of my very favorite gals to receive comments from! :-)

    I strive to put my readers "right there" in a sensual way. Your kind comments let me know that I've succeeded, here at least!

    And Wordcrafter, I love that, about the new ring in the spring; it appeals to this old romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get the gloves and use them, sweetie. Get so tired of you losing your rings!! *smile* Loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to The Word Garden, Gretchen! I'm so glad you traveled here for a bit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nichole, sister mine, I know I am always and forever losing rings, aren't I? I guess that means that I would make a very poor lemur! I would have such a plain tail. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mama Zen, welcome to The Word Garden! I'm pleased you liked my poem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderfully full, like life a bittersweet contentment in the
    voice. You're the maiden of
    repetiton shayfire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oo thank you, Cynthia. I am fond of it, but it has to be done just so to work. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being a long time gardener this struck interest throughout your words. Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you enjoyed it, George. Welcome to the Word Garden!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?