Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Book Worm In Seal Skin

I'm a book worm in seal skin,
Gladys on the half shell,
exiting the surf wearing a long wool skirt,
a smart jacket,
librarian glasses,
and an antiquarian hat.

(I meant to trip in my high button shoes.
I meant to do that.)

So, now, come out from the stacks, you.
Bring me a rose
and state your business.

Yes, yes. I'm the most beautiful woman
that you've ever spotted behind a reference desk.
Your heart is mine,
to catalog and shelve,
and so forth and so on. I've heard it all before.

Do something different.
Throw your electronic gadgets in the trash.
Do an interpretive dance around the safety cones
which mark the wet spot on the floor.
Then,
lie down with me there,
play with my hair and read to me your own poem
about having to be lashed to the microfiche reader,
so that you won't throw your life away
for love of my song.

Wrap me in a net and slide the chopsticks from my head.
Check me out, Padawan.
Get lost in me, as in a book, or Old Briney.
If you whisper the correct call number, I will sigh
--in that way you just knew all librarians can sigh--
and stay seven years with you,
getting on top,
making spot-on recommendations,
and organizing your special collections like nobody ever has before.

Or, you can stand there gaping,
and I'll slide back into the surf as if I had never existed at all,
here and gone,
leaving just my hat ribbon floating in the foam.
_______ 

21 comments:

  1. A selkie in a wool skirt. I love the contrast and the wild whimsical story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness. seductive little thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything having to do with librarians and/or libraries ... and mystical sea creatures wreaking havoc.

    These are my favorite sections:

    "So, now, come out from the stacks, you.
    Bring me a rose
    and state your business."

    "Then,
    lie down with me there,
    play with my hair and read to me your own poem"

    the last two stanzas

    And I LOVE the chopsticks in your hair, making you sushi, I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely intimate write... fun to read

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh such a fun write! Makes me want to find my dancing shoes! There is just so much here---Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! My! Goddess! You have surpassed even yourself with this one. It is Perfection. It just does not get any better, for a reader, than this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great interpretation of a librarian with a vivid imagination. I would definitely expect this reaction from one such as her. Reading all these romantic novelties that everyone uses like laundry hanging out to dry. Doing things out of the ordinary would certainly catch my vibe. I also liked that little reference from Star Wars "Padawan." That was something interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now just to rub it in I shall tell you that I work at a library....and I would love to share this with my co-workers....they will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In our Newspaper there is a weekly column called "ask the librarian", and it has less to do with books and more about life itself.. Cool story.. and I realize I should visit libraries more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh... nice.
    signed, Marian The

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those librarians, looking so prim and proper, aren't fooling me one bit--and a cursory examination of their bookshelves at home would give them away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Marian! Madam...... A lot of fun. k.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely final image...learned references.....you deep




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't know how I missed this, but glad you linked it so i had the pleasure of its fine romantic snark, and a journey into the depths of the Selkie's bookworm dream. This line made me smile: "organizing your special collections like nobody ever has before..." I can so imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you rude thing to impose such a fabulous write on us! :) I don't think I will ever look at the library the same.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is excellent. "(I meant to trip in my high button shoes.
    I meant to do that.)" Ha, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the tone of this, you know who you are. Smart and witty, so of course you need to be impressed. I wonder if in the end of this poem he manages to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gladys does conjure a different vision than Venus, but to each her own. (I loved my A-line plaid wool skirts in the 70's). Fun "how to woo and win a librarian" poem. Reading Shakespeare is not on the list?

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?