Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Motion

"It ain't the meat, it's the motion" --Maria Muldaur

"All the lazy dykes
cross-armed at The Palms
their legs astride their bikes
indigo burns on their arms" --Morrissey

"Desire is a powerful thing",
that's what the lady said
from her hospital bed.

They had to re-break the bone
to re-set it.
As for the bike, forget it.

Another thing: no more beget or begat.
She woke up a dog,
now meet the cat.

These days, she in-line skates
with a lovely
woman-fine sway.
_____

For Flash 55 at Real Toads.

A twist on Kerry's selected phrase "Man, you gotta go," this is based on a documentary I saw years ago, about a transgender woman, a former macho hockey player, who couldn't face her own inner reality until she was injured in a motorcycle accident. Now she in-line skates and is the picture of a woman comfortable in her own body. You go, girl.

 


17 comments:

  1. Such great quotes and amazing pic to set the scene for your tale. There is definitely an inner drive that insists on breaking free from the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tale worth telling, and told in classic Fireblossom style, with wit and empathy. Been a long time since I heard that Maria Muldaur song, but it really does kind of say it all. The opening two stanzas and last lines especially haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desire is a powerful thing, love that opening line ~ The acceptance is keenly felt with the woman-fine away ~ Happy New Year Shay ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you included the story behind this poem. I read it and thought, "This sounds like a transgender woman!" Glad I wasn't overinterpretting! I knew you'd knock it out of the park with this prompt!

    BTW, I had to verify that I wasn't a robot! Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, and I am totally taken with that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me think of someone suddenly getting a wake up call about life's brevity and deciding to take it seriously, even if they seemed to be speeding along before. Thanks, Shay. K .

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a powerful story.. sometimes going means something else than at first sight.. I find inlines or ice-skates more fun than motorcycles..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome story. I loved the tale told in your explanation as much as the poem. Love the "lovely woman-fine sway". Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy a good poem that relates to real life, and this poem definitely nailed in that image. I broke my growth plate in my ankle once, and it took forever to heal. In those days I took to gymnastics by using my crutches as a foothold to lunge across the room back and forth. Never did get used to the sore pain of those darn things, but I definitely made the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool. and for sure, G-man would have approved. ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever it takes to make us comfortable in our own bodies is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with the group! Love the words and love the image!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And you, Ms Shay, are the Wonder Woman of the toad pond. Another super write.
    Luv, K
    PS—Someone I used to babysit went through transgender surgery. Her dad told me it was successful from an emotional as well as physical point of view. I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The G-Man would have approved. And that was always good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i can just hear G sayin' "have a kick-ass weekend Shay!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the quotes. Love the real-life inspiration. Great 55!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?