Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Witch's Instructional

This is what it means to be La Bruja, the witch--
(swab honey on your ears before I speak, or they will curl like dry leaves.) 
It isn't like people think,
from storybooks and bullshit they've heard.
It's like this--
a candleflame-colored Moon rising 
through dreams and trees
into night sky, and not nearly so distant as it seems.

If you are La Bruja, you must barter with every wild thing-- 
taking some of each, as they keep some of you.
Sorters appear,
you know the ones...
made of hair spray and bibles, scared of the dark,
rattling on about their birth right.
You will kill them,
whether you choose to or not; whether you feel good about it or not.
Ah well.

There will be those who come into the trees,
even into your dreams,
to avenge what you've done while you were sleeping, 
walking the stick path,
or baying at the moon.
All I can tell you is, wear a long cloak,
keep moving to the stone-feather pulse inside you,
and know the Moon saves her favor for you, not dwarves or fools. 
______

16 comments:

  1. See what you've done! Now I have sticky ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this! Especially "All I can tell you is wear a long cloak,keep moving to the stone-feather pulse inside you, and know the Moon saves her favor for you, not dwarves or fools." Beautifully executed.


    ReplyDelete
  3. a candleflame-colored Moon rising
    through dreams and trees... what a great image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have listened but alas there goes my ears. I enjoyed reading this unique piece, its different and refreshing. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorters. That is exactly right, perfect.
    (Also, hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved witches, and there is something so sensual about that broom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially love the last three lines. You DO have a way with words, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is the best witch poem I ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pure magic in this spell, and the sincere trickery of moonlight, so like a woman, waxing and waning and shapeshifting, yet always the same. The first lines of each stanza are especially piercing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a wonderfully imaginative piece, packed with amazing images and, never forgetting, some real insight into women folk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this - you make me see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are one, you don't have to try. The energy just comes to you, goes through you --- sometimes even when you tell it not to.

    These are my favorite lines of your poem:

    "This is what it means to be La Bruja"

    "It's like this--
    a candleflame-colored Moon rising"

    "There will be those who come into the trees,
    even into your dreams,
    to avenge what you've done while you were sleeping"

    I'm sure you know this is one of my favorite movies. I'm recording it right now, actually. I'll be fully engaged with it in about ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this: "keep moving to the stone-feather pulse inside you"

    I love that line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What Rosemary said....the best witch poem ever. I love the candle-flame colored moon and the keeping moving to the stone-feather pulse inside you. I have no idea why you are not wildly famous. But you are, to us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i once was a leaf
    and now am just left ~

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?