Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, April 12, 2019

Library Science

"Goddess, make this mirror your river...
show me what you would have me see." 
Another woman walks in
as I stand at the sink taking in
my own face and flaws and shaking in my boots.

Silly girl.
Silly woman.
Go out that door and up to the reference desk.
All this time,
all the books checked out,
and I still haven't talked to her--not really--yet.

I wonder what's in her mind?
Austen? Ferlinghetti or Faust?
I wonder what's in her bag?
Lipstick? A leather cord with an ankh?

Goddess, make my lips your instrument,
let me say what you would have me say.
I want to kiss her. I want to hear her whisper "yes..."
I want her not to think me a fool. 
Goddess hear me, Goddess bless.

She's with someone...at her desk. In her life?
Is my boho baby someone's girl? Someone's wife?
Gee I love her hair, her smart-girl glasses, 
her long fingers, her long skirt.
I think we could be really beautiful
or I could just look stupid and get hurt.

(Anyway, here goes nothing.)

Goddess, make my lips your instrument,
let me say what you would have me say.
I want to kiss her. I want to hear her whisper "yes..."
I want her to see me, and understand.
Goddess hear me, Goddess bless.

Now's the moment. Smile! 
Say something! "I...."
She tilts her head, I think she knows...
And then, so softly, "Yes?" 
________

For my last Fireblossom Friday at Real Toads. "Love."

I love this song. Good grief, scratch a cynic find a romantic, I guess.



 

21 comments:

  1. I had a feeling about this one, and yes, it's that one. But it has a knife's edge to it, also--how we can love the outside, what we see, so much, how it can speak to us, warm us, destroy us, that love of what we want/need so badly, whether it's there or whether it's a tease. You have captured all that so laconically, poignantly, and sweetly--for what are we without some shred of hopeful innocence in the face of love? I will miss your Fireblossom Fridays, dear Shay, but I know your poetry will always be here for me, and that is a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, the angst of it all, feels like a happy ending, or perhaps just “yes, can I help you?” What then? Loved it❣️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Perhaps this one time it will be a happy ending! I hope she isn't 'someone else's wife or girlfriend.. but somehow all the best ones are already taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the feeling's not reciprocal. Thanks for the nice prompt, you did well with it.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "Goddess hear me, Goddess bless"....and that tilted head and soft...."yes?" A happy ending? What have you done with Shay? LOL, just kidding. I LOVE this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laffin hard @ what have I done with Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this captures a single moment in time—with all the thoughts and emotions, impressions, doubts and questions that infuse it. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another classic and love the ending...it leaves me expectant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, love..It is both timid and bold. I think that question of yes, got the right answer. :) Sigh, I will miss your Fireblossm Friday's, but I am comforted your pen will remain active.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an effective evocation of these moments that my knees are rubber

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charming, funny and bittersweet all together. Thanks so much, Shay. k.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully captured. I like the delicacy of tone. And oh yes, what courage it takes to make that first overture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard that prayer to the Goddess before, it's great syrup from the ages or a fine FB tap 'o the sap -- such ego and surrender in such a request -- like that Charlie Brown praying for contact just this once as he tries again for Lucy's Devil Football. OK, let's make it Peppermint Patty going after the ball ... Title so apropos because we are talking about poetry, right? About the Muse blessing us with a decent ululation this time?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an intense feeling when you feel that way so strongly and need to make a move, say something, take a chance. This is perfect Shay! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So good, that "Yes"... Perhaps not in the context desired, but clever ending to the poem. Thanks for all your challenges - hope you stick around the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sinuous, stupendous, and all the S words.

    I do hope to keep reading you, Shay. I may not always comment, but I always read. It's been a singular privilege to be in your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shay--So, will there be a sequel, where the ending isn't so happy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness. I'm kinda stuck wondering if the reaction might be different upon learning it is Austen, or Ferlinghetti, or Faust, or someone else? Of course it would, that's part of the fantasy...

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?