Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Medea's Lament

Here's the news--
(though you never ask)
a chain grocery has bought Saint Sebastian's,
and the altar still sticky with our vows
will be torn out,

replaced with giant coolers,
jumbo pizzas,
grade A eggs.

Ha! I love irony.
Do you remember when you told me
all that cracked shit about the Golden Fleece?
Did I make fun of you,
there in our bed with your stupid adventure novel 
and our young hopes, sure as homing pigeons?
No.

And so you see, I am merciful after all,
at least to the degree of which I am capable. 
A few dragon's teeth make a thousand men,
and a thrown rock scatters them,
just as I had told you,
to save you,
back when I was almost innocent, and in love.

So how is Glauce?
Does she still dye her crispy pale locks with L'Oreal?
Is she old enough to drink yet?
Was she worth it?

Oh dear, I know that black grinding silence;
I've offended you.
I just called to tell you about Saint Sebastian's,
and to tell you the kids can't come this weekend.
Yes, I know it's your turn,
but they're going swimming.
Yes, alone, Jase. I told them they could.
In fact, I insisted.

You always imagine the worst of me.
No, I don't think that's a good idea, and besides,
they can't come to the phone right now.
What do you mean my voice sounds funny?
Happy, you mean? Satisfied? Like you would even know.

One last thing...
that winged goat thing that we had?
I pitched it.
Well Jason, I needed space in the family room
for food trays from the deli at the new supermarket.
Why, for the funerals, of course.
Poor Jason, you sound so at sea,
but don't worry,
I've taken care of everything,
just like I used to when you loved me and I was glad to do it.
________

for Kerry's challenge--"Is Love A Tender Thing?" 

          

17 comments:

  1. Aieeee! FIngernails on chalk boards ... and Nyro clinches it! To kill all in the name of love--even the children--was bad, burnuing Creusa to a crisp was very bad, but how crazy can one break into? Into how many parts? And which one of them chats cruelly of all that is no more? Deadly cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the deli didn't extend credit! Very arch and artful. Thanks! K. Manicddaily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah--I have to go with wicked--and a wow from me as well--love the acidity here--how many times do i wish i could find words like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS wicked and I am totally wowed! Reminds of of the M word, and not in a good way. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes.. How many needles can one handle.. but it seem to be well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "One last thing...
    that winged goat thing that we had?
    I pitched it."

    certainly devious

    Happy Valentines 2015

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Jason, you sound so at sea,
    but don't worry,
    I've taken care of everything...

    What a chilling finale and excellent take on love and the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very twisty and terrifying, Shay--as of course, Medea's voice should be--and all the more so for being laced with consumerist 'normality' and suburban tropes that try, just as they do in real life, to hide the emptiness and the epic betrayal of lost worth--wonderful sly references to the skeleton army and Golden Fleece, and the voice throughout is just perfect. Very glad I didn't read this first before posting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. Things I wish I'd said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Referencing a few things I am ignorant about but I feel the tension and the brief nod to what was ... A really great response to the prompt as opposing sentiments are certainly at play here. (I pretty much didn't follow the rules with mine).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, this is delightfully dark. Certainly one of the best anti love poems I've read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reads like a script from a black and white film noir .. who shall we cast as the actress?

    ReplyDelete
  13. damn, girl! this is some bad-ass anti-love shit! and i adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. damn. Jason's an idiot, of course. ~

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?