Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Book Review : "A Dirty Job"


A Dirty JobA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

It's rare for me to give up on a book I've already invested time on, but having slogged through a third of this one, I was not about to endure any more.

If you like middle school level humor, casual white male privilege that thinks it's cute, or reading the phrase "beta male" seventy thousand billion times, then this may be the book for you. Moore has evidently been told how hilarious he is so often that he never says in one sentence what he can stretch out to five in order to include all his knee slappers. Ugh.

The characters here are not really characters, they are caricatures. The plot had promise, but Moore tangles it up in so much nonsense and convoluted silliness that it leaves the reader wondering WT exact F? I found it not to be worth the effort of finding out. By the time I had waded through the easy shots at women, Asians, and blacks, I'd had enough. You don't have to be the PC Police to know stupid.

NOT recommended.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Shay--The last sentence--before the "Not recommended" was hilarious. I'm glad you didn't waste any more of your time.

    (And sorry about sending the link about the call for writing. I thought that genre has various shades, and also, I thought you wrote everything under the sun--except for crap. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds totally repellent. Good for you on not throwing away any more time on it--we may be home with time on our hands, but that doesn't mean we have to endure idiocy just to kill a little of it. Great review, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?