Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Cartography

I represent actual things

with a representation of those things.

Come in,

sit down.

I'll select posture, expression and language

like semaphore,

 an agreed-upon symbology

like mailing some version of myself

to some version of you.


Behold this Orinoco

made of ink;

this range

comprised of bumps.

Roll your fingers over them.

That, is real.


Let us fall in love

with what we seem to be.

Let us share a border

clear on charts but apocryphal on scene

where we may meet and express our confusion.


I am a cartographer.

I can tell you how far from here

 to there,

from where I am

 to where you are,

and at how many degrees

 longitude and latitutude

we can expect to find various landmarks--

happiness,

children,

retirement and so forth.


I am a cartographer;

come live with me

and be my love.

Some day,

I may write you a poem

throwing everything we depend upon

into chaos.

_________


for The Sunday Muse #122.


13 comments:

  1. I love love love this poetic map you have written Shay! A map of life, lovers and all it holds in-between. True poetic brilliance here my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the visceral map imagery, the way you made the page more tactile and clear, then flipped the mystery back into it. The lines have a movement that draw me through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mailing of "some version of myself to some version of you", and the closing, with the prescience of that possible future poem which might throw everything into chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every line is a line to savor in this one, but I especially like the meat of this stanza: "..Let us fall in love/with what we seem to be..." There's a lifetime's pain, loss, and disillusion in that, and yet the narrator reserves her hope,and her spirit remains able to pivot and see both the gifts received, and the price paid. Last lines are phenomenal--the impact of a comet hitting the earth. Fine, mature and intelligent writing as only you can do, Shay, and a very great pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shay--What a poem. Wonderful images. Powerful emotions. Great line breaks. And that comma, after "That" and before "is real" is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'd like to see the Nymph's reply to this Passionate Cartographer. Brilliant ending. And this - "like mailing some version of myself / to some version of you". Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cartographic point of view, filled with such images as only you can coin.
    "Who you believe yourself to be", and "version of you" touch on our tendency to live behind the mask we present to the world. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing piece of poetry. Mailing some version of myself to you, I think we all have many versions. It's about perception and point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aa very fine bit of cartographic verse. As always, right on the spot. :)

    ReplyDelete

  10. I really enjoyed how you charted life’s landmarks..
    weaving its ups and downs within the context of
    relationship. My kind of poem🙌🏽

    ReplyDelete
  11. “Mailing some version of myself to some version of you”
    That is only one example of the fine lines you have mapped out here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some version of myself, basically it changes daily. The first two lines of this stopped me dead in my tracks, stopped reading for more than several seconds .... thinking what a great beginning ~~ it got better and better as it continued.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this Shay! Please come snd time travel with me... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?