Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Bareback Rider

 

When I was a girl, I often dreamed
that I rode a haunted horse whose head was ether
and its steady breath was my own pulse
sounding through my ear pressed hard upon the pillow.

We rode in slow procession through 
the house gone unfamiliar in weird shadows
pulling a death-carriage behind us
and it seemed that I labored while the horse hovered

With lantern lights for eyes
on each side in concert with the slant moon
dim-blind through silver windows
but watching as the horse's flanks rose and fell.

A bareback rider, I hooked fingers
through streamers of jet mane like widow's weeds in a breeze,
hoping to hang on, to wake up
only to see Thanatos the ostler smiling and standing

At the stable door holding a gleaming dark apple for his charge.
_________


Music: Snakefarm "All The Pretty Little Horses"



13 comments:

  1. Greek bearing a gift ... beware, both you and horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "gone unfamiliar in weird shadows"

    This poem is magical, Shay - I love it!

    ~David

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem reads like the most enchanting dream....the haunted horse with his lantern eyes, the slant moon through silver windows. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I hate waking up to Thanatos. Especially when he grabs my cool dream horse and takes it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was extremely delightful to read. Just like a scene from a supernatural film. I loved the mystical feel !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love poems of deep dreams and this is truly vast and wide with feeling and meaning my friend! A gorgeous poem with too many wonderful lines to quote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sense of personal space invaded by darkness that only dreams can give pervades this. The other-worldly horse, the unearthly glow of its lantern eyes, the hearse and Thanatos himself all lend a Poe-like chill that makes me glad I have been spared this particular visitation. I find it interesting that you rode through the house, a distortion of space that could never actually accommodate a horse and rider, yet does. You definitely brought the grue with this one, Shay, and all the more so for the elegant style in which you wrote it. Second and third stanzas are my favorites, but it all breathes out the essence of nightmare fluently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riding your own nightmare, yet who's riding whom? The loss of control over our fears and where they may carry is overwhelming in this poetic hallucinatory journey. A horse of ether. A death carriage. A dark apple. Thanatos smiling. Our very fears can defeat us even before the journey begins it seems. Another dark jewel of a poem, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whimsical, magical and simply brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant piece of writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The horse and environment shift in the dream accommodating room for the dream to transpire. The elements of darkness seem to twist the dream into a nightmare. The carriage is unsettling for me as a reader. The imagery in the third stanza is well done. An interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, "A bareback rider, I hooked fingers
    through streamers of jet mane like widow's weeds in a breeze,"

    A brilliant, magical poem, Shay!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?