Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, January 6, 2023

Crescent Moon

 


There is a crescent moon beneath my heart
and a thorn placed by Saint Genevieve
wrapped in tissue paper and delivered 
by her hand from a golden sleeve. 

The orchards stand a foot in flood
and the sun denies the vines
as crowns deny Saint Genevieve
to wander dumbstruck blind.

The crescent moon beneath my heart
reflects in switchgrass reeds
and rolls like fog across the stars
that sent Saint Genevieve.
______

unprompted but shared with Dverse OLN hosted by Linda Lyberg

Saint Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris and her feast day was this past week, January 3rd. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I always LOVED her name. I had a daily book of saints growing up... She's around for those hard times! I know she could help abate storms - but I'd love to know what you mean by "crowns deny" - was it royalty turned on her? As always, your poetry is always best when read aloud - the vibration of the words is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crescent moon beneath your heart and the tissue-wrapped thorn are especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shay, this is so lyrical and compelling. My Favorite lines of all are 'There is a crescent moon beneath my heart
    and a thorn placed by Saint Genevieve'. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shay, this was a delight to read and know about St. Genevieve. Love the first stanza's imagery of crescent moon beneath my heart
    and a thorn.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?