Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Hymn For Homeless Ghosts

 If I could lay hands on a visa 
issued by lost grandfathers--
some kind of ticket scented 
with summer dirt roads--
then I would wear a hat made of dandelions and leave.

The present moment
is just a rented room. 
Poor child, 
yesterday has vanished,
today was born already packing its case,
and tomorrow is asleep in a distant curtained chamber.

It was just a moment ago,
just a breath, when I was
new in the world and believed the world new as well.
Whose hand was on the door
that was closing even as it opened,
wearing the vanishing morning like fleeting fashion?

If I had a passport
made of more than shifting memory,
I would take a hired car
to shores where the waters say,
"Where have you been
delayed so long,
and why dear heart do you ask, through tears, 
                                                     to be told your own name?
_______________


Music: Cesaria Evora Sodade




19 comments:

  1. From first line to last, I held my breath as I read. "The present moment is just a rented room" is arresting because it is so true - and the closing lines go right to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Especially the first stanza and that "The present moment is just a rented room"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, Shay. It's right up there with your best. You captivated me from the first stanza onward, and how bittersweet it becomes. Love your words <3

    p.s. I really want to add to your word list but I get the feeling you're soon to add another one so I might wait for that one if it's today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually leaving last week's up for an extra week cos only Sherry and I wrote for it last week, so climb on board!

      Delete
  4. Today was born already packing its case, that is so true. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you really are a glitch in the matrix (and there is no spoon so we have to eat pudding with our hands) love the timefullessness of this, had to read it a few times to get half-a-grasp, it's a twister, i like that. i felt the ghost, the loss and the sadness in the ending. i enjoyed this shay

    ReplyDelete
  6. sincerely, phillip woodruffJanuary 4, 2023 at 11:28 PM

    heh, can't log in with google for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  7. The present moment
    is just a rented room. --- So evocative

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Shay, add me to the list of those who lost a heart beat with " The present moment is just a rented room"!
    And as if that wasn't enough, here comes the epilogue question"...through tears, to be told your own name"!!
    Brave, Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Brava...that was!.. but keep brave as well🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a lovely take on this poem, I enjoyed reading it,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice line: "today was born already packing its case"

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was my "anonymous" comment above about today already packing it's bags. Hopefully this comment identifies me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "The door/that was closing even as it opened" --- killer line about life grounded in swiftly passing time, and the passage to knowing one's self, the desire to be known, or at least "to be told your own name." Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No more todays nor tomorrows and the passport and shifting memory line is amazing. The whole poem is moody and wistfully sad - Lots of thought put into this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Six? Without question.
    This hit me like some artwork does - on a totally physical level.
    Love your writing Shay.
    Hope you'll excuse me....gonna read your Six again...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! Love to read such fine poetry in a Six!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?