Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Let's Talk

 "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars.
Out here, we is stoned, immaculate."  --Jim Morrison



Let's talk about the elephant in the room.

I'm not some sort of spokesperson for eternity.
Still, you keep popping up,
asking if anyone wishes to communicate,
then you wig out when I answer back.

Let's talk about how I got here. 

I was in the back seat of Daddy's Oldsmobile.
The baseball game was on. 
Then I was launching off from some crazy trapeze into...this place. 
No mom.
No dad.
Just another bauble in the costume jewelry box of the universe
shining brightly in the dark.

Now let's talk about you. 

You're miffed when I don't answer, but shit your pants when I do. 
I can't tell you where your dead Granny is.
I can't tell you if she's in glory or misery.
I can't tell you how much I'm starting to hate that silly planchette of yours.
So why did I answer in the first place?
Like Cole Porter says, It was just one of those things. 

Let's talk about not talking anymore.

Whatever you're asking about--it's not my clowns, not my circus.
I'm just a bit of incorporeal ash floating around in the ether.
I vant to be alone
and boy, am I.
At least, until you came along, like a chatty seatmate on an airplane.
You say hello--hello hello!--I dont know why you say hello, I say

Goodbye.
________

for Word Garden Word List--The Circus In Winter.

and


Music: Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb



10 comments:

  1. You had me at elephant in the room all the way to your song ending that is perfect Shay! Some things need no words and some of us are full of a lot of hot air for sure. I always love the way you say something in such a way that it is in our focus in such a clearer way. No need to say, I love this.....I always love what you write my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just another bauble in the costume jewelry box of the universe" is a line only you could write. Brilliant. And the riff on the Beatles' lines I LOVE!! Marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let’s talk ‘bout Texas radio and the big beat… and whether or not one can petition the lord with prayer. Or are we all alone, just poor actors out on loan… just riders on a storm. Like this Shay, hela, heba-helloa I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious, Shay. Brilliant, beautiful verses.

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! The end definitely made me smile. I love the layout, the format, the conversation, the irritation, the whole concept. And as others have said... that Beatles reference. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brilliance of this lies for me in the conflicted message of the narrator, isolated and loving it, but also frozen by it. Only you could write with the voice of a reluctantly summoned spirit and make us identify. I especially like the line about costume jewelry. Excellent, cutting piece, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shay, I have been a fan of your blog for a long time .. you never cease to amaze. This poem captures the touch and feel of fine jewelry ... costume? Never.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fantastic poem full of fire and spirit love it 💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminded me of a time from my teen years when a friend convinced me to use a Ouija board with her to ask what a guy she liked "was doing right now." The answer was "making coffee" and I thought to myself, we conjured the spirits for this? Ha. Your poem is stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re-reading this again after a few weeks. So good. Like Hedgewitch said, the tension of the conflicting message holds the whole thing together and keeps us in the poem with the narrator. Of course, then tripping over taut, silken guy-wires like this: “Just another bauble in the costume jewelry box of the universe / shining brightly in the dark.” and we are on that trapeze out into the unknowable cosmos.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?