Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Word Garden Word List--Mary Oliver

 

Hello my little nature hikers, and welcome to this week's Word List poetry prompt! Recently, Queen Cool Dora managed to get it through my thick head that Jane Olivor and Mary Oliver are not the same person. I had listened to Jane Olivor way back in the day, found her unsatisfying, and forever after ignored both Olivor and Oliver, thinking them the same. D'oh! 


Mary Oliver is, as it turns out, marvelous, and here is a chance for most of you to say "I told you so!" She writes in a deceptively simple style about birds and plants and everyday natural things, but always finds the magic, the beauty, and the universal in them. Her style reminds me a bit of Ted Hughes but kinder, without the edge, and of someone over at Poet Laundry who shall remain nameless cos I am discreet like that. 

What we do here is to use at least 3 of the 20 words provided in a new, original poem of our own. It is not necessary to include any nod to Mary Oliver, though you are free to do so if you so desire. Then just link up, visit others, and then plop down in a field someplace and breathe in the natural world as you feel your heartbeat slow and your nerves relax. This prompt remains active through next Sunday. 

And now, your List:

books
burning
busyness
cleansed
coffin
cranberries
dreadful
feet
generosity
hidden
hours
improbable
jewelry
lily
matches
miles
rain
sleep
snow
swift

10 comments:

  1. That chick over at Poet Laundry will be quite overcome when she reads that her poetry reminds you a bit of Mary Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Oliver is, needless to say, my most favourite poet. She has, (among many other volumes), a small volume out titled The Leaf and the Cloud which is about life and death and the whole damn thing, and which won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award. You would also love her Dog Songs, poems to her beloved dogs. I love this prompt and should be able to come up with something. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already ordered Dog Songs but this one arrived first. I shall look for the other one you mentioned now as well.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for another wonderful list - I haven't read any Mary Oliver but now my curiosity is stirred..thank you - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the wonderful things about this poetry community we have; I find out from Dora about this poet, you find out from me, and on and on. :-)

      Delete
  4. The List took me a different direction than I thought it might. Not Mary Oliver-esque. But she is a favorite of mine. I have several of her books (nine to be exact).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine! *chokes on Jennifer Wagner's dust* Hey, wait for me!

      Delete
  5. I love Mary Oliver. Mine isn't close to Mary Oliver. It's too Susieish :) Thanks as always for the wonderful inspiration Shay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie-ish. Ha! We love it when you're Susie-ish.

      Delete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?